About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services, midstream operations and cargo shipping. As the nation’s largest natural gas-only distributor based on customer count, AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves more than one million retail customers through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Nicor National, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management, ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities, and ownership of Tropical Shipping, one of the largest containerized cargo carriers serving the Bahamas and Caribbean region
For more information, visit
This individual monitors and reports on technical developments in the accounting literature, directs the implementation of new accounting pronouncements, and analyzes intermediate through complex business transactions to support the development of GAAP compliant financial statements and external financial reporting. The latter two activities are also thoroughly and formally documented in position papers.
Additionally, position will include independent auditor interaction (preparation/review of technical recommendations and face/face communication) and at times assistance resolving matters pertaining to SEC quarterly and annual financial filings.
- Determines and directs the appropriate accounting (recording) and/or disclosure for complex business transactions or the implementation of complex accounting rules across the entire organization
- Prepares formal written documentation of analysis, conclusions and support for conclusions
- May prepare and/or review data requests, reports and schedules for regulatory agencies (state public utility commisssions, etc.)
- Participates and/or leads special projects, such as the implementation of complex new accounting rules across the organization, often dealing directly with executives in various business units
- Reviews and analyzes financial information relating to various specialty accounting areas (e.g., derivatives, pensions, asset retirement obligations in plant);
uses professional judgment and expertise to interpret complex contracts, other legal documents, and accounting literature, making recommendations to senior management and the auditors
- Provides well-developed professional expertise and decision making abilities
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Demonstrated ability to identify errors, problems and opportunities (e.g. a continuous improvement mindset)
- Independently and creatively solves problems
- Works with customers (internal and external) to resolve problems; answers questions and provides accounting guidance and recommendations; strong desire to serve others and make their jobs easier or more effective; quickly responds to requests
- Collaborates and builds effective relationships with stakeholders
- Coordinates cross-functional technical review and implementation teams
- Willingness to work a minimum of 45-50 very productive hours/ week and at times more than that as is necessary to serve our customers in a timely manner; is self-driven and highly accountable
- Responsible for monitoring progress against goals/deliverables; holds self and other accountable for results
- Follows organizational policies and procedures
- Provides continuous process improvement suggestions and may oversee implementing them
BA/BS degree in Accounting
Or equivalent academic education and experience
Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Related Work Experience:
Or equivalent academic education and experience
- 7+ yrs “technical” accounting
- Experience producing well-written formal accounting documents
- Experience reading and interpreting complex contracts, regulations and other legal documents
- Experience reading and interpreting accounting literature, particularly familiarity with many of the following Accounting Standard Codification topics
- income taxes
- derivatives and hedging
- fair value measurement
- stock compensation
- consolidations/ variable interest entities
- Significant current continuing professional development in accounting
- Builds good working relationships with peers, interacts well with executives
- Significant pluses:
- Utility or energy industry accounting experience
- Derivative and hedge accounting experience
- Financial valuation experience
- Public accounting auditing experience at the senior supervisor or
manager level a strong plus
- SEC financial reporting at the senior supervisor or manager level
Supervisory experience a plus
Specific Skills & Knowledge
Advanced knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), as evidenced by:
- the ability to conduct in-depth accounting research in connection with implementing significant new accounting pronouncements or determining the appropriate accounting for intermediate to complex business transactions
- the ability to express an understanding of and familiarity with the requirements of multiple Accounting Standards Codification Topics
- MS Word – intermediate proficiency
- MS Excel – intermediate proficiency
- Strong organizational and cross-functional coordination skills
- Team player with the ability to also work independently
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
- SEC financial reporting experience at the supervisory level a strong plus
- Experience performing financial statement audits in multiple industries a strong plus
- Finance skills a strong plus, including experience with valuations, derivatives and statistics
- Infrequent Traveler (0-5% travel): The incumbent may be required to travel on a very limited basis.
Trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job.
The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees in the job.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
- The incumbent works in an office environment.
AGL Resources is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace.
AGL Resources - 2 years ago
AGL Resources brings its resources to customers in seven states through its fleet of utilities. Its Nicor Gas unit has 2.2 million customers...