The Georgia Department of Driver Services is seeking qualified individuals for the position of Accountant (AL). Supervises a team and assists in the completion of duties related to monitoring revenue collections, auditing and bank account reconciliation processes, customer refunds, and completes balance transfers between banks and the Department of Treasury. Analyzes financial information and programs, identifies financial trends, makes recommendations to management, and prepares necessary financial reports as directed.
Job Responsibilities & Performance Standards:
Performs job responsibilities with minimal supervision 1. Correctly applies various accounting theories according to GAAP, governmental accounting standards, applicable state and federal guidelines and agency fiscal policies and procedures.
2. Carefully reviews documentation, entries and reports for accuracy and completeness.
3. Accurately and completely records financial transactions according to GAAP.
4. Reviews and analyzes general ledger accounts accurately for fiscal integrity as well as compliance with applicable principles, standards, guidelines, policies and procedures.
5. Corrects general ledger accounts based on timely recognition of problems and accurate identification of required adjustments.
6. Coordinates work with colleagues to provide accurate and meaningful financial
7. Record journal entries accurately and in a timely manner.
Serves as job expert or organization resource in assigned areas 1. Performs adequate research and analysis of collected data for the preparation of reports.
2. Collaborates with end-user, or designated representative, before preparing the requested report to ensure that the expected results are understood.
3. Confers with other professionals or separate authorities to obtain advice, information, or resources required to create the format or input of the reports as needed.
4. Develops format and reports to meet specified needs while assuring conformity with appropriate measurement focus or basis of accounting.
5. Ensures accuracy of reports by verifying output and making corrections as appropriate.
6. Submits completed reports within established time frames.
Analyzes business operations, costs, revenues, financial commitments, obligations, etc 1. Performs work in a timely manner utilizing appropriate theory and judgment and ensuring its conformity with specified principles, measurement focus, policies, and regulations.
2. Analyzes complex reconciliation documents and other information to arrive at logical and accurate conclusions.
3. Determines appropriate corrective action to take when faced with discrepancies.
4. Adequately analyzes the effects of transactions on reports.
Applies GAAP, state or federal fiscal guidelines, and agency policies to establish tables/records of accounts or financial transactions, review financial data, and assign entries or apply accounting control measures to proper accounts 1. Applies appropriate accounting theory and principles in the evaluation process.
2. Identifies discrepancies between existing procedures and those that are generally accepted or that will result in greater efficiency or operational effectiveness.
3. Formulates specific recommendations based upon analysis of systems, subsystems, and procedures.
4. Submits for consideration a timely report of findings that includes advantages to be realized should the recommendations be adopted.
Develops, maintains and prepares periodic reports that compare budgeted costs to actual costs 1. Accurately and concisely explains accounting systems, subsystems, procedures, and practices.
2. Accurately determines data required for audits.
3. Follows departmental policies and procedures in providing information. Review unusual requests with supervisor prior to releasing information.
4. Formulates a complete and accurate response in the requested format. Submits response in a timely manner.
5. Notifies appropriate personnel of pending audit actions in a timely manner.
6. Maintains availability and effectively communicates with third parties.
Develops, monitors and maintains budget and financial records 1. Develops appropriate goals and objectives for the assigned area that are consistent with agency goals and objectives.
2. Plans and implements methodologies for attainment of goals and objectives.
Establishes tables of accounts, and assigns entries to proper accounts 1. Identifies need to develop or revise policies and procedures. Initiates appropriate actions to address needs in a timely manner.
2. Appropriately researches policies and procedures for applicability and consistency and for compliance with rules, regulations, guidelines, standards, or related policies and procedures.
3. Carefully monitors newly developed and/or revised policies and procedures for effectiveness and viability.
May assist in development of policies and procedures for assigned area 1. Ensures budges are developed on time according to specified guidelines.
2. Develops fiscal impact projections for future growth and needs of the department or unit.
3. Maintains financial records according to established guidelines.
4. Monitors expenditures to ensure conformity with budget category limits. Identifies potential cost variances requiring reallocation of resources or identification of additional resources.
May supervise less experienced staff 1. Defines goals and/or required results at beginning of performance period and gains acceptance of ideas by creating a shared vision.
2. Communicates regularly with staff on progress toward defined goals and/or required results; providing specific feedback and initiating corrective action when defined goals and/or results are not met.
3. Confers regularly with staff to review employee relation's climate, specific problem areas and actions necessary for improvement.
4. Evaluates employees at scheduled intervals, obtains and considers all relevant information in evaluations, and supports staff by giving praise and constructive criticism.
5. Recognizes contributions and celebrates accomplishments.
6. Motivates staff to improve quantity and quality of work performed and provides training and development opportunities as appropriate.
Provides advanced-level professional recommendations and financial reports to management 1. Defines job tasks, sets priorities and regulates workloads for subordinates on section needs and incumbent capabilities.
2. Monitors compliance with policies/procedures by spot-checking work at defined intervals.
3. Promptly advises subordinates of variances and proposed corrective actions.
4. Provides appropriate training for subordinate staff when procedural changes are made or upon identification of areas with high numbers of variances.
5. Assists subordinate staff with resolution of problems by providing methodologies that are appropriate and that conform to GAAP.
Reconciles accounting data and transactions requiring the knowledge of complex rules and regulations and the use of advanced research and/or problem-solving skills 1. Participates in professional continuing educational programs when available.
2. Attends regular meetings of available and applicable professional organizations.
3. Reads and evaluates professional literature on a continual basis.
4. Incorporates knowledge of pertinent new trends and developments into section procedures and makes recommendations for any related organizational changes.
GA Dept of Driver Svs - 30+ days ago
Accountants One, Inc
- 23 days ago