Position Title: Accountant III
Job Summary/Basic Function:
The Accountant III performs highly responsible financial accounting and reporting work. This position will be responsible for monitoring and adhering to accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. The Accountant III supervises staff accountants and is responsible for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, fiscal period closing, and audit activities. The Accountant III will have contact with senior-level administrators, the college's Internal Auditor, Assistant Controller, and Controller which requires strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
A minimum of five (5) years of prior supervisory experience is required. Experience in a college/governmental setting and PeopleSoft Financials is preferred. Experience with Windows based computer software essential. A combination of education and experience may be considered.
A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Accounting is required. A Master's degree is preferred.
- Considerable knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), practices and standards.
- Considerable knowledge of governmental accounting methods and procedures and financial practices.
- Knowledge of budget, procurement, and auditing practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of supervision.
- Knowledge of computerized accounting software.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Ability to proof-read institutional reports, ensuring they are grammatically correct and meaningful to potential users.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and internal audit staff.
- Advanced-level use of spreadsheet and word processing software.
- Ability and willingness to learn new software programs as required.
- Preferred additional software knowledge - Access, Banner, PeopleSoft, Visio, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Experience researching information on the internet.
- Ability to apply traditional accounting principles and concepts to prepare accurate and decisive financial statements.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial report information and to take the appropriate corrective action.
- Ability to analyze complex problems in diverse situations.
- Ability to draw on prior experiences to construct arguments and reach complex decisions.
- Ability to detect and reconcile discrepancies in financial records.
- Ability to work independently and be a self-starter.
- Ability to adapt to change is required.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers and representatives of other agencies or departments.
- Ability to organize and clearly express information in concise written form.
- Ability to read, comprehend and apply pertinent laws, rules and regulations.
- Ability to use calculators, personal computers and application software.
Position requires local travel. Ability to lift and carry files and materials. Ability to move from one office to another office on campus. Adequate vision, hearing and manual dexterity to interact with people in person, on the telephone and in writing. Job takes place in normal environmental conditions.
A Criminal History Check is Required.
Position may require non-standard hours (nights and weekends).
Open Until Filled
($51,737 - $64,672) commensurate with education and experience with excellent benefits.
Anticipated Start Date:
Required Applicant Documents:
Georgia Perimeter College - 2 years ago