The Junior Accountant supports the Accounting Manager in all areas of investment reporting, general accounting and record keeping. This includes analyzing and preparation of general ledger accounts; assisting with external financial audits; maintaining the Council’s fixed assets schedules and related accounts; and preparing bank reconciliations for all NY bank accounts. The Junior Accountant is also trained in payroll processing to ensure payroll processing coverage as required. CPA is not required for this position. Minimum of five years of relevant finance or accounting experience or a satisfactory combination of college level accounting courses/degree and relevant experience
1. Coordinates monthly general ledger accounting system reconciliations and closing cycles by:
a. Conducting analyses of general ledger accounts;
b. Preparing and maintaining monthly lead schedules ensuring balance sheet account reconciliations; and
c. Recording timely and accurate journal entries as required.
2. Prepare monthly bank account reconciliations for all NY operating bank accounts. Monitor outstanding receipts and check listings ensuring timely follow-up and regulatory compliance.
3. Monitor monthly employee receivable and department receivable reports, verifying transactions, preparing adjusting journal entries, monitoring collections, and taking appropriate follow-up action as required.
4. Maintain fixed assets lead schedules. Responsible for the gathering financial data and preparation of reconciliations between fixed assets sub ledger, general ledger and inventory schedules. Maintain and prepare detailed vehicle schedules (Council and Donor funded) for insurance reporting and coverage.
Prepare monthly depreciation general ledger journal entries as appropriate.
5. Coordinate and maintain fellowship accounting and tax reporting records by:
a. Analyzing and maintaining accurate fellowship accounts in the general ledger;
b. Identifying taxable benefits and calculating the appropriate tax withholding from tax schedules; and
c. Preparing IRS form 1042 filings and IRS 1042-S forms for distribution to non-resident alien fellows .
6. Provide accounting stewardship for the Council’s flexible spending account (FSA) by:
a. Preparing, verifying, and delivering semi-monthly employee contributions reports to the FSA benefits administrator; and
b. Preparing monthly and annual FSA general ledger journal entries and reconciliations of the general ledger to the FSA benefits administrator reports.
7. Provides continuity of payroll processing and administration during absences of the Payroll Manager by being proficient in all payroll functions including the:
a. Review of timesheets for completeness and accuracy;
b. Computation of overtime hours and associated overtime payments.
c. Processing and transmittal of payroll transactions to the payroll vendor.
d. Preparation of pension schedules.
8. Assists during the conduct of audits in preparing and supplying appropriate and relevant accounting documentation upon request.
9. Other duties and projects as assigned
1. Minimum of five years of relevant finance or accounting experience or a satisfactory combination of college level accounting courses/degree and relevant experience.
2. Strong analytical, problem solving, Excel, and communication skills are essential.
3. Ability to deal effectively with staff at all levels.
4. Detail-oriented and ability to handle multiple tasks.
5. Experience with Microsoft Great Plains or other accounting software preferred.
Population Council - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard