Annandale United Methodist Church in Annandale, VA, has an opening for a part-time Accountant. The Accountant is responsible for all church financial activities including but not limited to deposits, contribution tracking, check disbursements, monthly bank reconciliations, audit preparation, and 3rd party payroll. A degree in accounting is preferred. 20-25 hours per week, flexible schedule, great work environment.
Should be experienced in accounting and in the use of computers in accounting, record keeping and report generation and be familiar with acceptable accounting procedures.
1. Maintain all accounts in the computerized accounting system following acceptable accounting procedures.
2. Maintain the six to nine bank accounts in the computer utilizing the double entry accounting system. Retrieve deposit bags and deposit slips from the bank each week and reconcile all bank accounts with deposit slips.
3. Prepare checks to transfer funds from Money Market account to checking account in order to maintain an adequate balance for church business. Prepare and sign vouchers for appropriations and mission outreach approved by the Council, pensions, salaries and payroll taxes.
4. Write disbursements after receiving vouchers prepared and signed by authorized user of funds.
1. Maintain computerized members’ accounts. Enter new estimates of giving as received, assigning new envelope numbers. Post all members’ contributions in a timely manner each week, and post the teller’s weekly summary. Assist the Finance Committee in responding to members’ questions on monthly statements of contributions.
2. Prepare, copy and distribute all financial reports including regular monthly reports and end-of-year computations, and include those for the Charge Conference, the Virginia Conference and the Finance Committee.
3. Prepare payroll audit for insurance company.
4. Prepare year-end 1099’s, and notify staff of tax code changes which may affect them.
5. Attend monthly Finance Committee meetings as requested by the Senior Minister.
Assist the Audit Committee by assembling records and responding to their inquiries.
6. Assist all fund users as required, and assist the Budget Committee with budget
7. Maintain a complete descriptive record of designated and restricted funds (gray
8. Assist in the preparation of the “Voucher Authorization” form annually.