Accountant plays an integral role in the accounting function of the Financial Reporting department. Accountant will apply Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) to perform a wide variety of accounting duties, while exercising considerable initiative to attain job objectives. Accountant is responsible for various reports, month-end journal entries and reconciliations, and maintenance of a variety of financial and operating systems and data. Monitors and analyzes operational costs and spending for various groups.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities :
- Compiles and interprets financial information to prepare journal entries for various general ledger accounts.
- Prepares monthly general ledger account and bank account reconciliations.
- Maintains, prepares and distributes reports and information to a variety of internal users.
- Utilizes ERP and PC applications to perform complex tasks and multiple processes.
- Primary responsibilities include accounting for occupancy costs and/or maintenance of the fixed asset subsystem, including review of POs and supporting documentation.
- Enforces and adheres to company and accounting policies.
- Prepares annual budgets and monthly forecasts for various general ledger accounts.
- Maintains compliance with internal controls, related to Sarbanes- Oxley requirements, in assigned areas.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance/Accounting required, with 1-4 years of directly related experience preferred.
- Strong analytical and accuracy skills required.
- Excellent attention to detail, good organization skills, and effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to function within a team environment.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point, and Access.
- Experience with large scale ERP accounting systems and related reporting tools preferred. Specifically, experience working with SAP and Essbase preferred.
- Requires the use of considerable ingenuity, initiative, and judgment when making decisions.
Big Lots! - 14 months ago
Big Lots: North America’s Extreme Value Leader
With clean, bright stores and well-stocked departments, Big Lots has transformed...