Founded in 2000 and headquartered in New York City, Demos is a public policy organization working for an America where all have an equal say in our democracy and an equal chance in our economy. This is done through original research, focused advocacy, cross-movement collaboration and multi-platform communications strategies.
Demos pursues its mission through fiscal sponsorship of several special projects as well as through its own core programming. Demos currently employs 45 staff members with an annual budget of approximately $7 million.
Demos is recruiting for a full-time Accountant to perform accounting and payroll duties, support financial reporting and grants management, and contribute to an efficient and cost-effective approach to operations as Demos brings its finance function in-house after many years of outsourced finance and accounting. The Accountant will report to the Vice President of Finance and Administration and work closely with members of the Administration and Development teams.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
General Ledger and Accounting Functions
- Perform month end closing procedures including reconciling bank statements
- Prepare and post journal entries
- Prepare audit schedules and support VP of Finance and Administration in preparing for and managing the annual audit
- Manage Chart of Accounts and Cost Center structure and maintain accounting files
Accounts Receivable and Cash Receipts
- Process vendor invoices following organization procedures and issue checks as needed
- Produce weekly aging reports
- Manage credit card reconciliations
- Invoice subtenants
- Enter cash receipts
- Maintain grants and accounts receivable schedule in conjunction with Director of Development and Administrative Associate, producing periodic aging reports
- Transmit payroll to ADP
- Post payroll and reconcile to payroll statements
- Add new hires to payroll and maintain payroll records
- Track and record vacation accruals
Grants Management and Reporting
- Enter annual operating budget in accounting software by program, project and grant and enter budget modifications as needed
- Produce monthly budget-to-actuals for senior management and quarterly reporting package for the Board of Directors including budget-to-actuals, balance sheet, and dashboard
- Generate monthly financial reports for fiscally sponsored projects
The successful candidate will have the following skills and qualities:
- Enter grant and project budgets in accounting system
- Allocate expenses to grants as per coding provided by Development and program staff
- Supports preparation of financial reports for grants
1. Nonprofit finance experience : Working knowledge of GAAP as applied to nonprofit accounting and knowledge of fund accounting software are a must! Experience with Fund EZ is a plus. S/he will have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance or equivalent training and/or experience.
2. S/he will have strong administrative, organizational, and oral and written communication skills, including the ability to explain technical information to those without finance expertise.
3. S/he will have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Software, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
We are more interested in these three qualities than any particular amount of experience. However, a commitment to Demos’ work would be nice. Candidates need to fit well with our culture, bringing a strong commitment to excellence, and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment. The position is full-time and based in New York City.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $65,000- $80,000 and is commensurate with experience. We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 20 vacation days per year, and the opportunity to contribute to a 403b plan.
Demos is an Equal Opportunity Employer—people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and résumé by clicking through the following link: http://demos.hiringthing.com Include in the letter how you found out about the position. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Demos - 21 months ago