This position will report to the Manager of General Accounting. The General Accounting area responsibilities include, but are not limited to, coordinating the monthly close cycle, consolidations, joint venture accounting, successful efforts accounting, benefits accounting, account reconciliations, international accounting and expense allocations. This role will immediately be responsible for the following:
Additional requirements of the position include:
- Prepare and record journal entries in the general ledger related to the accounting for asset retirement obligations (ARO)
- Be responsible for understanding the entire ARO process and ensuring that estimates used for calculations are reasonable and current.
- Partner with Cost Accounting team to ensure accurate recording of current abandonment activity and subsequent updates to ARO database.
- Prepare general ledger account reconciliations and rollforwards
- Perform monthly analytics related to asset retirement obligation including ad hoc analysis as required
- Stay current on accounting literature and regulations related to ASC 410 (formerly FAS 143) and abandonments
- Other special projects as identified
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills including the ability to build relationships within team and with personnel in related areas such as Reservoir Engineering, Operations and Cost Accounting
- Demonstrate a continuous process improvement mindset within area of responsibility
- Demonstrate effective time management, prioritization and organizational skills so that key responsibilities are completed timely
- Demonstrate strong technical capabilities including the ability to analyze, think critically and provide recommendations in area of responsibility
- Maintain evidence of financial controls performed and participate in self assessment testing in assigned area of responsibility
Candidates for this position should possess the following:
Accounting degree from an accredited university and 2+ years of experience
Successful Efforts accounting knowledge a plus
In-depth knowledge and experience with Microsoft Excel
Big Four experience and/or CPA preferred
El Paso Corporation (El Paso) is an energy company, which operates in the natural gas transmission and exploration and production sectors of...