OVERALL RESPONSIBILITY: Assist in monthly accounting functions related to depository and cost accounting activities. Prepare month end journal entries and analyses accurately and completely, within the set deadlines. Assist in the accrual and recording of monthly depository activities and preparation of reconciliations of the statements received from the depositories to the ledger. Assist in the research and/or updates of Cost Accounting issues. Assist in projects assigned.
1) Prepare month end journal entries and analyses (15%)
2) Maintain appropriate records for the accrual and recording of monthly depository activities (15%)
- Ensure all information necessary to complete month end is received in a timely fashion.
- Prepare journal entries to be submitted.
- Prepare month end analyses, as assigned.
- Communicate status and issues associated with the close process to manager and other team members throughout the close process.
- Evaluate month end activities for improvements and efficiencies.
3) Prepare reconciliations of the statements received from the depositories to SAP (50%)
- Update schedules with information necessary to record monthly accruals.
- Assist in maintaining the log of cash received from depositories, ensure correct posting to customer accounts.
- Maintain communications with order management and inventory control teams
4) Assist in research of Cost Accounting issues (10%)
- Reconcile inventory, sales, commissions and other items on statements from depository, as outlined by Accounting Manager.
- Follow up with depositories, order management and inventory control on items for reconciliation.
5) Assist in projects assigned (10%)
- Gain understanding of inventory movements and transactions used within SAP, to perform basic research and analyses on cost accounting activities
6) Other duties, as assigned.
- Provide assistance on special projects, as the need arises.
- Consider special projects and information requests to be the same as normal day-to-day responsibilities.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Required: Bachelor degree with basic accounting classes. 1-2 years accounting experience in a business environment.
Preferred: Bachelor degree with a concentration in accounting or business. 1-2 years accounting experience.
SAP knowledge, with preference for material ledger experience. Working knowledge of Access and high competency in Excel and Word.
Strong communication skills. Ability to take direction and follow through on assignments, adhere to deadlines, adapt to a changing work environment and work in a team setting. Ability to identify unusual results or system gaps and bring to attention of supervisor.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is a global learning company with the mission of changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, curious...