This role has four primary purposes:
- Ensure the firm’s US tax filings are correctly prepared and timely filed in accordance with the New York office tax calendar. This includes researching and anticipating the impact of new legislation on the firm’s business structure and ensuring full compliance.
- Be the key contact person and manage the relationships with external tax return preparers and tax colleagues in jurisdictions around the world.
- Monitor the accuracy of the month end reporting (P&L, Balance Sheet and Cashflows).
- Working closely with the budget holders to monitor and control the support staff expenditures.
- Work closely with the Finance manager and staff to ensure relevant information is extracted to prepare income tax returns and other statutory submissions including Commercial Rent Tax, Sales Tax, VAT, NYC Unincorporated Business Tax, 1099 and 1042 reporting. Ensure that all tax returns and other. filings are submitted on a timely basis and all payments are made by the due dates.
- Liaise with PwC and other external preparers to ensure non- resident partners' US tax returns and the partnership returns are timely filed.
- Respond to tax queries from partners and colleagues from other offices.
- Using latest available results prepare quarterly estimated payments for Federal and New York State tax payments made on behalf of 300+ foreign equity partners.
- Ensure that an annual form 8804-C (federal certificate to reduce withholding), IT-2658-E (state certificate to reduce withholding) and any other necessary information is obtained from all relevant partners.
- Track partner refunds and work in close cooperation with Tax and Partnership (T&P) group to ensure refunds are properly accounted.
- Ensure the firm is compliant in providing the correct W8 information to our US clients to ensure we receive payments free of US withholding tax. This is particularly important for work done for US clients outside the US.
- Respond to tax notices and auditor requests from relevant tax authorities.
Write technical memorandums, documenting tax positions taken and summarizing relevant research findings.
- Review current NY documentation and procedures and ensure that we are enforcing best practices and are compliant with IRS guidelines.
- Ensure SSC staff (Shared Service Centre) is appropriately trained to ensure correct and timely 1099 (domestic vendors) and 1042 (overseas payments) reporting.
- Maintain in good standing the Balance Sheet and the Profit and Loss accounts before the monthly book closing deadlines.
- Supervising the month end close procedures and advise staff and SSC of accounting entries needed to close books including depreciation, accruals, prepayments etc.
- Reviewing the monthly results before the month end deadline and preparing a value added analysis of expenditure variances against budget.
- Performing a detailed review of the monthly cost centre reports for all practice groups and business services and following up on significant variances.
- Responsible for monitoring the financial performance of the business support functions against budget, producing variance analysis and highlighting any trends or issues to the Finance Manager.
- Assist Finance Manager with the preparation of High Level Plans, Budgets and reforecasts for the business support functions.
- Prepare weekly cashflows and submit to Global Treasury.
- Manage office cash accounts including remittance of excess funds to Treasury, liaise with JP Morgan contact as necessary, set up account transfers and emergency wire payments
Undergraduate Bachelor’s degree
2-4 years hands on tax experience in a professional services firm
Global partnership tax experience
Understanding of individual taxation
Commercially aware with understanding of Tax impact on HR and Finance strategy
Extremely organised, ability to prioritise and manage workload.
Must have superior team working skills and demonstrate the ability to perform at a high level in a matrix organisation
Diligent & strong attention to detail.
Confident and self assured.
Highly motivated and capable of working on own initiative.
Ability to work under pressure, and meet tight deadlines.
Must be very articulate and able to explain complex US tax issues to non accountants.
Ability to write coherently and concisely
Linklaters - 18 months ago
Headquartered in London, United Kingdom, global law firm Linklaters LLP is a member of the 'Magic Circle' of leading UK law firms....