The Accountant is responsible for general accounting functions, including but not limited to Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, and Financial Reporting. This position is a critical and integrated member of the Finance team. The successful candidate will have previous related accounting experience, such as general ledger, financial systems, financial report generation, billing, balance sheet reconciliations and journal entry processing.
The position requires an individual who is ambitious, self-directed, and capable of working autonomously or with the broader leadership team to achieve the business and financial goals of the company.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Participate in the monthly financial close, including journal entry processing and general ledger account activity review to ensure financial statement accuracy and adherence to accounting policy and GAAP as required.
• Produce monthly financial statements and other internal and external financial reports as necessary.
• Perform balance sheet reconciliations; apply technical knowledge and judgment to ensure accuracy of accounts and timely resolution of reconciling items as required.
• Process internal/external billing as required.
• Process accounts payable as required.
• Administer various compensation programs as required.
• Demonstrate understanding of internal controls and segregation of duties requirements to drive implementation of best practices in adherence to Sarbanes Oxley requirements.
• Prepare and maintain Procedures for specific job duties.
• Liaison with IT and other departments on various projects, initiatives and process improvements impacting the Corporate Accounting function, as needed and assigned.
• Participate in migration of western region accounting processes as required.
• Participate in special projects as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Technical accounting knowledge and ability to incorporate that knowledge and synthesize information into actionable recommendations and analyses.
• High degree of business acumen and analytical and problem solving skills.
• Adaptable in using organizational skills to prioritize tasks and take ownership of work; comfort and ability to deliver results in a flexible, fast-paced work environment.
• Ability to anticipate busy schedules and communicate with other members of the organization/department to complete assignments on time.
• Ability to effectively pace work to adhere to financial close deadlines and key deliverables.
• Demonstrated integrity in work product and commitment to accuracy.
• High sense of urgency.
• Adhere to key financial controls in accordance with GAAP, Sarbanes Oxley requirements and corporate policy.
• Strong ability to work as a team member.
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Applications, especially Word and Excel, including a working knowledge of complex Excel actions (e.g. pivot tables, v-lookups).
• Ability to master financial systems and reporting tools (MAS90 and FRX preferred).
• Good written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrate and model company values with internal and external customers.
• Proactively communicate with team and cross-functional counterparts.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Bachelors or higher degree in Accounting or Finance
• 3+ years accounting/finance experience
MERIT Property Management, Inc - 24 months ago