Perform the monthly close, run depreciation through fixed asset module, assist with the annual close and preparation and execution of the annual financial audit.
Essential Job Functions include:
- Assist Controller with implementation and execution of Controller's responsibilities.
- Perform month end closing process related to balance sheet accounts:
- Reconcile general, payroll, and bankcard account on a monthly basis.
- Review all bankcard chargebacks and dispute as appropriate within allowed timeframe. Maintain a chargeback binder with resolution of each chargeback notated.
- Prepare all journal entries related to bank reconciliations in a timely manner.
- Prepare monthly amortization of prepaid expenses and prepaid insurance including update of prepaid insurance schedule.
- Maintain spreadsheet of employee receivables created from participation in wellness program. Reconcile with documentation received from HR and Payroll.
- Prepare depreciation entry from fixed asset module.
- Coordinate with MBASS to ensure accurate monthly reporting of rental activities and prepare related journal entry.
- Record merchandising operator reporting as it relates to membership sales, commission, reimbursable expenses, and special programs.
- Prepare monthly endowment entry based on budget.
- Reconcile all asset/liability accounts with the exception of investments, pledges receivable, beneficial split interest agreements, CRTs and gift annuity liability. Analyze reasonableness of ending balance in reconciliation process. Propose journal entries as required.
- Assist in the year end closing process and in the audit preparation process:
- Prepare/obtain necessary schedules for all balance sheet accounts (with the exception of investments, pledges receivable, beneficial split interest agreements, CRTs and gift annuity liability and payroll accruals) and save in the electronic audit files in the Finance drive. Ensure all schedules are prepared before audit fieldwork.
- Work with accounts payable to ensure all expenses are coded in the correct fiscal year throughout the audit field work.
- Prepare confirmations as requested.
- Assist with providing information requested by the auditors during fieldwork.
- Assist with compilation of information for annual preparation of 990 as requested.
- Prepare monthly sales tax remittance and quarterly/annual sales tax filings within the regulatory deadline. Maintain continued awareness of current sales tax levels.
- Prepare other journal entries as requested.
- Ensure procedures performed are in compliance with related internal controls.
- Provide financial information to other departments as requested.
- Assist with fostering a team environment through constructive and open communication
- Other duties as assigned.
- Three years related experience
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Economics or Finance preferred.
Monterey Bay Aquarium - 20 months ago