Pathfinder International is a global leader in sexual and reproductive health. We place reproductive health care at the center of all that we do—believing that it is not only a fundamental human right, but is critical for expanding life opportunities for women, families, communities, and nations, and paving the way for transformations in environmental stewardship, decreases in population pressures, and innovations in poverty reduction. Pathfinder provides women, men, and adolescents with a range of quality health services—from contraception and maternal care to HIV prevention and AIDS care and treatment. Pathfinder strives to strengthen access to family planning, ensure availability of safe abortion services and post-abortion care, advocate for sound reproductive health policies, and, through all of our work, improve the rights and lives of the people we serve.
The Accounting Department works in partnership with other Pathfinder International departments to accurately record and report financial results, implement and manage financial control measures, establish policies and procedures, and ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, and governmental and nongovernmental grant requirements.
The Accountant is a key member of Pathfinder International’s finance team with responsibility to assist in completing the revenue and grant accounting process and ensures that related accounts are reconciled in a timely manner. The Accountant is responsible for the analysis and preparation of financial reports, optimizing workflow, harmonizing processes to ensure an accurate and timely close and coordinating and documenting accounting processes based on different financial systems. The Accountant reconciles assigned balance sheet and income statement accounts within and between financial systems. This position strives for operational excellence that enables Pathfinder to continue to grow; evaluate, develop and implement operational best practices in areas including general accounting, financial reporting and compliance and builds constructive and effective relationships with team members and clients.
- Reconciliation and recognition of revenue, pledges and grants.
- Preparation of journal entries and balance sheet reconciliations for accounts receivable, prepaid accounts, deferred rent, fixed assets and accruals.
- Monitors daily cash activities including assisting with international cash requests from field offices.
- Preparation of government drawdowns for funding.
- Assist with monthly management reporting.
- Assists with the review, approval and posting of general journal entries for propriety and integrity of account distribution.
- Reconciles global intercompany accounts and researches and resolves out of balances.
- Assists in preparation of government surveys and ensures timely and accurate submissions.
- Assist with the annual audits, including assistance with preparation of work papers and financial statements.
- Ensure the completeness, consistency, accuracy, and clarity of the financial statements in accordance with US GAAP requirements.
- Optimize workflow and harmonize processes. Coordinates and documents accounting processes based on different ERP systems.
- Collaborate with others in the completion of special projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Management with an emphasis in Accounting.
- Minimum of 4 years of total professional finance/accounting experience.
- Excellent computer/software skills in Microsoft Office applications, in particular Word and Excel, experience with accounting systems and ability to learn new systems.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures.
- Professional integrity, honesty, initiative, accountability and dependability.
- The commitment and ability to excel in a fast paced environment, work effectively under time pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse finance colleagues across a global organization.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills including experience in translating financial concepts to individuals at all levels, including finance and non-finance managers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (in English).
- Proven ability to improve processes, promote excellence and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Solid analytical, problem solving and financial troubleshooting skills.
- Experience coordinating audit activities and analyzing accounting data reports.
- Ability to quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures and adapt local practices to global standards.
- Strong attention to detail and proven ability to consistently perform tasks independently with a high degree of accuracy.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to assess priorities in a faced pace environment and manage a variety of activities and meet deadlines.
Pathfinder International is proud to be an Affirmative Action /
- Experience with a multi-national company.
- Experience with government grants and contracts.
- Experience with Serenic or other major financial system.
- CPA certification.
- Experience working in a non-profit global organization.
Equal Opportunity Employer.