The Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) is responsible for all financial aspects of The National Academies, including Accounting, Budget, Contracts and Grant Accounting, Travel and Financial Analysis and Reporting.
The Accountant prepares various accounting statements and reports. Utilizes accounting policies and procedures in performing and reviewing the accounting transactions of others. Reviews and verifies the accuracy of journal entries and accounting classifications assigned to various records. Areas of activity may include accounts receivable, accounts payable, cash receipts, payroll, general ledger entries, financial report preparation and reconciliation, bank statements, budget reporting, and tax statement reporting.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Prepares summary entries to the general ledger and subsidiary ledgers, reconciles with source documents/transactions to ensure accuracy and resolves discrepancies.
2. Reviews, reconciles, and balances monthly accounts.
3. Prepares monthly financial reports and analysis and assists in special projects.
4. Responds to inquiries from internal and external customers.
5. Posts journal entries. Participates in mid-month and month-end closings. Performs research.
6. Gathers information from financial system. Analyzes and calculates specific data. Prepares financial reports and submits to sponsors.
7. May maintain inventory for checks and issue checks when necessary.
8. May maintain accurate inventory reconciliations by researching discrepancies, working with staff to analyze and verify work in progress and to ensure accurate information and correct cut-off times for material inventory.
9. May supervise accounting assistant(s).
Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field, or equivalent knowledge with 2 years of related professional experience. Ability to solve problems using selection and application of rules, procedures, and precedents. Ability to use appreciable latitude for independent judgment and action. Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness. Supervisory skills may be required. Ability to work successfully in a team environment. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies’ departments through effective communication. Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees.
The National Academies - 5 months ago