Under moderate supervision, performs professional accounting services using standardized methods and procedures in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and County policies. Work involves preparing financial statements, schedules and reports, completing journal entries, maintaining ledgers, reconciling and verifying accounts, and monitoring revenue and expense accounts. Interprets and analyzes accounting data and financial reports and recommends action. May carry out accounting functions related to the collection of delinquent tax accounts or court fine and fee accounts to bring into compliance with the various property tax or criminal justice system laws, requirements and regulations.
This is the first in a series of three professional accounting-related job classifications within the Finance job family. Incumbents typically perform routine professional financial accounting duties that require the application of standard accounting theories, principles and techniques, and require the appropriate skill levels including basic skill levels in computer, analytical and communication skills. This classification is distinguished from the Accountant Senior classification in that incumbents usually consult with higher level accounting staff for advice and assistance and are not typically responsible for the more complex accounting functions. Duties require some degree of initiative and independent judgment. This classification typically performs duties at a department or office level. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, schedules and reports including completion of accounting entries and reconciliation of accounts and statements. Develops or assists in developing non-standard reports and statements, such as detailed cost and financial analysis, forecasts, trend analysis and projections. Participates in or completes special accounting studies. Monitors revenue and expenses for assigned accounts.
- Completes journal entries, maintains ledgers and prepares cost accounting information. Verifies accounts and reconciles and analyzes entries, transactions, ledgers and reports. Maintains filing system of accounting data, such as canceled checks, bank statements and other documentation.
- Interprets and analyzes accounting data and financial reports and recommends action. Assists in developing and implementing accounting systems and procedures for department. Assists in drafting financial policies and procedures. May assist in budget preparation and maintenance.
- Monitors compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Maintains accounting controls and financial security by following policies and procedures and internal controls.
- Assists department staff and other clients by providing procedural/financial information and/or other information and guidance with automated or manual systems. Provides assistance with and verifies required documents are completed, reviews for accuracy and submits to appropriate staff for further processing, as required. Instructs staff, in entering information into accounting system, as required.
- May train or assist in training, reviewing the work of, and providing technical assistance to lower level accounting staff making ledger entries, completing reconciliations and trial balances, maintaining payroll, purchasing or travel records and completing other accounting and bookkeeping work.
- May perform specialized accounting functions, such as grant accounting, accounting related to a collections program, or other types of accounting functions.
- May assist in establishing and maintaining a system for reviewing delinquency of tax accounts or court fine and fee accounts.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or a directly related field AND two (2) years of increasingly responsible relevant professional level accounting or financial analysis experience. Master's degree in Accounting, Finance or a directly related field may substitute for the two (2) years required experience.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements :
Valid Texas Driver's License.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities :
- Policies, practices, procedures and terminology of assigned function.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and standardized financial practices.
- Manual and automated systems relating to assigned function.
- Modern office practices, procedures and methods.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
- Business letter writing, grammar and punctuation, and report preparation.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Entering and reconciling financial data and reporting and monitoring fund and ledger balances.
- Completing professional financial reports.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Analyze, calculate, consolidate, reconcile and interpret accounting data and identify errors.
- Develop and maintain financial spreadsheets, accounts and ledgers.
- Prepare accurate financial statements.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with County employees and officials, representatives of outside agencies, and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 10-15 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, sitting, walking, climbing, crawling, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, reaching, twisting, balancing, repetitive motion, and squatting to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday
Location: 5555 Airport Blvd. Austin and 3614 Bill Price Rd. Del Valle,TX
Physical Test Required
Drug & Alcohol Test Required
Criminal, Credit, Driving, Education & Employment Background Check Required