The position will work directly with the Staff Accountant, but report to the Director of Accounting. He or she will work on an individual and team basis within the Accounting Department and be responsible for the bookkeeping of the accounts payable and accounts receivable portions of the balance sheet. This person will deliver consistent and accurate information on a timely basis. To be successful in this position, the individual must be able to display an extremely high level of organizational skills, be able to multi-task in a fast paced environment and display honesty and integrity when producing, delivering and distributing information. In addition, a high level of confidentiality must be maintained at all times.
Accounts Payable - Main Tasks and Responsibilities
- Review all invoices for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment.
- Code and voucher invoices and check requests.
- Prepare and process check runs.
- Match invoices to checks and obtain signatures.
- Monitor accounts to ensure payments are up to date.
- Resolve invoice discrepancies.
- Maintain vendor files.
- Correspond with vendors and respond to inquiries.
Accounts Receivable - Main Tasks and Responsibilities
- Post all cash receipts and retainers timely and accurately. The expectation is that postings occur the same day.
- Review daily the bank accounts online for client EFT payments or any other credits we may have received. Sign on to the client website for the remittance advice where applicable.
- Research any discrepancies with client payments including duplicate payments, short payments and overpayments.
- Process credit memos and application of retainers for any adjustment such as a shortage or uncollectable write-off.
- Investigate and respond to client and project managers’ inquiries.
- Prepare daily cash receipts for deposit to be picked up by courier and file documentation.
- Send out daily cash receipts reports to all offices.
Education and Experience
- Knowledge of accounts payable, accounts receivable and general accounting procedures
- Proficient in data entry and management
- Knowledge of relevant computer applications and accounting software including Microsoft Excel. BST Global, Sage Timberline or Deltek Vision a plus.
- Experience in a services industry such as Engineering or Architecture preferred
- Bachelor’s degree and/or college courses in accounting preferred
- 5+ years accounts payable and accounts receivable experience
- Able to work overtime when required
- Strong organization skills and prioritizing
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Experience working in very high volume environments