Job ID: 1962; Close Date: 08/29/2013; Agency: Department of Social Services; Accounting and Finance
Salary / Grade: $11.47 - $14.34 per hour N11
The Department of Social Services strives to make a significant impact in the lives of the citizens of South Dakota. The Division of Accounting and Finance is looking to further enhance the success of the Department's programs by recruiting a paraprofessional in the area of accounting. The desired candidate will possess a commitment to service, rigorous attention to detail, and the ability to work in an honest, ethical and responsible manner.
The primary duties associated with this position will include:
• follows established charts of accounts to ensure payment of bills and record keeping in compliance with supervisory direction;
• assigns appropriate codes charging internal division and other departments for services and/or goods;
• processes claims to ensure they are paid promptly and according to guidelines;
• documents payment and processing errors and corrections;
• reconciles vendor statements and handles calls or inquiries from vendors regarding payments;
• sends affidavits and maintains records of lost and stolen warrants;
• requests stop payments and warrant cancellations;
• replaces stale dated warrants;
• maintains vendor files;
• requests and enters W-9's into state accounting system files;
• maintains the utility data entered in the EnergyCap Utility Manager System;
• assists with the preparation of the annual janitorial contract documents;
• performs other work as assigned.
NCRC: If you possess a National Career Readiness Certificate, please submit the certificate with your application. For more information on how to acquire a National Career Readiness Certificate contact a South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation Local Office.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
• bookkeeping practices sufficient to record debits and credits;
• basic accounting and financial principles;
• invoices, requisitions, and similar forms and documentation used in purchasing;
• arithmetic sufficient to calculate percentages;
• computer program applications and database management - specifically Excel, Word and Access;
• record keeping.
• follow written and oral directions;
• communicate sufficiently to answer questions and provide information about assigned work;
• use a calculator and computer and learn applicable accounting software;
• prioritize and complete work by established deadlines;
• compare information and recognize discrepancies;
• establish and maintain effective working relationships with vendors, department officials, and the public;
• demonstrate compassion, respect, courtesy and tact when interacting with others.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
South Dakota State Government - 13 months ago