The New School is seeking an Accounting Clerk III in the Student Financial Services Cashiering Office. Reporting to the Assistant Director of Student Accounts-Cashiering, this is a full-time, non-exempt, union clerical position. The staff member will be required to work evening hours as well as close the Cashiering operation at the end of the business day. Regular shift hours start at 10:00 am and normally end no later than 6:00 pm. shift hours vary depending on the time of year. Overtime is required during registration periods and other peak activity periods.
Working under minimal supervision, responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Provide day to day customer service in person, by email and by telephone to the university community.
Troubleshoot student and department inquiries and provide resolution.
Accounting tasks and bank reconciliation of some complexity
Preparation of financial reports
Resolutions of problems of a technical nature which require the frequent exercise of judgment and administrative ability
Process payments and deposits daily, maintaining accuracy and using cash controls.
Enforce credit policy and gate keeping functions within cashiering.
Responsible for accurate petty cash distribution and departmental deposits.
Process batch registrations and payments, including Continuing Education course payments.
Reconcile payments and incoming work.
Assist with refund processing
Process payments from off-campus sites.
Supervise and train temporary staff.
Other duties and special projects as assigned.
• Excellent verbal, written, and Interpersonal skills.
• Understanding of and the ability to provide a high level of Customer service.
• Understanding of and the ability to communicate basic accounting principles.
• High degree of accuracy and excellent organizational skills.
• Ability to exercise good judgment, possess administrative ability and use ethical business practices.
• Possess multitasking and time management skills.
• Experience with on-line computing operations and PCs.
• Minimum of one year in college in accounting or equivalent work experience in a business related field.
The New School - 17 months ago