Reporting to the Corporate Controller, the Accounting Manager is responsible for managing the financial and accounting obligations of the US operations of Phillips & Temro Industries. This position is part of the manager level team for the Minneapolis operations, is part of the corporate finance team for consolidated Phillips & Temro Industries, and is responsible for supervising some of the accounting staff at the Minneapolis operations.
RESPONSIBIITIES AND DUTIES:
- Ensure accurate and timely completion of accounting tasks, including A/P & account analysis
- Assists in ensuring accruals are accurate on consolidated basis
- Reconciles monthly Revenue from Sub-Ledgers to GL for all of North America
- Ensures the accurate valuation of inventory according to GAAP
- Maintains unit costs in SAP for all US materials and updates system values when needed
- Develops overhead rates for costing
- Analyzes variances to standards and makes adjustments as required
- Analyzes monthly Cost of Goods Sold, explaining price and mix impact
- Works closely with Operations to understand production order variance
- Monitors Cycle Count Adjustments monthly, recommending corrective actions as needed
- Manage A/P payments to meet company objectives
- Manage cash to meet obligations and comply with bank/debt requirements
- Work with corporate to achieve cash objectives for company
Manufacturing and Operations
- Close books and update financial reports within closing schedule
- Meet requirements for reporting on company objectives
- Ensure Mpls and Prior Lake data is correctly included in consolidated reporting package
- Provide useful analysis of the monthly financial reports for the Senior Leadership Team
Planning and Forecasting
- Responsible for insuring inventory accuracy
- Ensure manufacturing costing practices are current and consistent with WPG operations
- Support development of annual operating plans and monitor results
- Support financial forecasts
- Participates in development of corporate plans and forecasts
- Supervise and develop accounting staff to meet expectations
- Work with H/R to meet financial requirements for payroll, benefits and 401K obligations
- Ensure integrity of actual and plan data in system
- Develop reporting capabilities to meet management needs
- Work with IT group and Mpls accounting to optimize information system for internal use
- Develop and implement internal controls to meet requirements
- Coordinate outside audit responsibilities for Mpls and Prior Lake
- Participate in development of corporate internal controls and work with auditors
- Work with Controller and tax counsel to meet all US tax and other government obligations
- Participates in tax planning on special issues
- Works with Mpls and Prior Lake management teams and enhances local decisions
- Member of Corp finance team
- Reviews all capital authorizations to ensure criteria are met
- Ensure system in place for recording and reporting capital expenditures
- Ensure process for capital approvals in place
- Coordinates reviews of business processes to ensure effectiveness
- Assists in corporate review of business practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and interpersonal skills, including ability to resolve disputes and observe confidentiality.
- Ability to use PC and widely used software packages, e.g., spreadsheets (Excel), word processing (MS Word), Lotus Notes.
- Ability to learn new software packages as necessary.
- Ability to meet deadlines; accomplish work in order of priority; professionally maintain composure and effectiveness under pressure and changing conditions.
- Ability to learn new duties and adjust to new situations encountered on the job within a reasonable amount of time.
- Ability to negotiate conflict and maintain constructive working relationships with people at all levels of an organization (both inside and outside the company).
Education: Accounting degree from an accredited college or university is required. A CPA, CMA , or MBA is preferred
Experience: 7 years accounting experience. Strong problem solving abilities and excellent communication skills. Strong computer skills. The ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines. A commitment to continuous process improvement. Supervisory experience and ability to work well across functional responsibilities.
Phillips & Temro Industries - 2 years ago
The history of Phillips & Temro dates back to 1920, when James B. Carter opened his manufacturing business in Winnipeg, Canada. Over the...