Warrenville Role synopsis This role will be responsible for accounting and financial reporting activities as well as preparation and maintenance of U.S. GAAP accounting policies and related training. This individual will work closely with the US Refining and Marketing business units, offering consultation, expertise and ensuring US GAAP is being properly applied. The Accounting Policy Expert will also be responsible for following emerging U.S. GAAP accounting issues and will be involved in R&M projects to implement new accounting standards. Key accountabilities • Support the preparation of US Pipeline Joint Venture financial statements and prepare footnote disclosures based on US GAAP
BP has established a Business Service Center (BSC) in the Chicago area which provides Finance, Customer Service and Operational Procurement services to all R&M businesses in the Americas. This BSC is part of an integrated network of Business Service Centers to support SPU (strategic performance unit) operations globally, providing cost optimization and process standardization, through global delivery capabilities and enabling technologies. The BSC is a dynamic, performance-driven organization that deeply values its customers and its people, and seeks continuous improvement in all it does. Disclaimer If you are selected for the position, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. BP is an equal opportunity employer. Removal Date 13-Aug-2012
- Support resolution around accounting treatment options in discussions with external auditors and partners in Joint Venture owners audits.
- Provide interpretation and guidance around US GAAP policy for the BP-Husky (Toledo) Refinery finance team.
- Review of US GAAP pronouncements and analysis of their impacts to the business
- Manage implementation of any changes to US GAAP accounting regulations.
- Conduct research and provide technical accounting guidance where required.
- Serve as the subject matter expert for the external auditors on US GAAP related items.
- Coordinate and conduct US GAAP training for the aBSC and supported business units
- Provide interpretation and guidance for quarterly Additional and Supplemental disclosures.
- Work with the US GAAP Policy team in Houston on implementation of US GAAP standards
- Work with the Group Accounting Policy team on implementation of IFRS standards Essential Education Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field. Essential experience and job requirements • Certified Public Accountant
- 6 years or more financial reporting experience, preferably with at least 3 years of public accounting experience
- Expert knowledge of US GAAP and proven ability to research and document complex technical accounting issues. Other essential skills and knowledge • Strong interpersonal, networking and communication skills.
- Good business judgment in handling potentially sensitive business and people issues.
- Ability to interpret and communicate relevant information with clarity.
- Ability to manage multiple/conflicting priorities with a strong track record of delivery.
- Ability to motivate and influence others.
- Proactively take initiative.
- Flexibility and adaptability in handling change. Desirable criteria & qualifications • Experience and familiarity with IFRS accounting pronouncements.
- Strong financial control, reporting and technical accounting skills, including analytical, problem solving and internal control process skills, and the ability to research the proper application of accounting principles
- Strong communication, interpersonal and networking skills; ability to interpret and clearly communicate information, best practices and lessons learned with internal and external parties; able to make strong impact and significant contributions to the business while giving sound advice
- Flexibility and adaptability in handling change; ability to work independently and manage multiple competing or conflicting priorities with a strong track record of delivery
- Highly motivated self-starter with the ability and willingness to take initiative; proactively promote, implement and uphold the principles, aspirations and strategies of the department/business unit/company; champion continuous process improvements
- Commitment to workplace safety
- MBA is a plus Relocation available Negotiable Travel required Yes - up to 10% Is this a part time position? No About BP Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
BP - 10 months ago
BP p.l.c. (BP) is an oil company, operating through its subsidiaries. With effect from January 1, 2008, it operated in two business segments...