Manager, Accounting Policy
To provide accounting and financial reporting guidance and counsel to management and other functional areas (including Business Units) with regard to interpreting accounting and regulatory policy. Technical knowledge of USGAAP and NAIC required. Knowledge of IFRS and CGAAP would be a strong asset. This position reports to the AVP, Chief Accountant for US Controllers.
unique transactions by reviewing proposals, contracts and other related documents and holding discussions with staff
- Provide financial analysis guidance and counsel to management and other functional areas (i.e., Business Units, Investments, Tax, etc.) with regard to interpreting accounting/regulatory policy
- Keeping abreast of changes/developments in accounting requirements and assessing its impact on the Company generally and the US Division specifically
- Prepare or revise accounting/operational policies to reflect new regulatory and accounting guidance; these policies will be included in the US Controllers SharePoint Accounting Policies Database ("APD")
- Assist in providing advisory services to business units who perform securitization, derivative, reinsurance and other structured transactions. Help analyze issues and implications of acquisitions, divestitures and
requirements such as IFRS, mergers and acquisitions, or new operational initiatives
- Participate in special projects with cross-divisional impact ensuring that deliverables are on time and within quality targets. Special projects may be related to the implementation of new accounting or regulatory
- Support and maintain the APD to ensure that the policies and access to the database are up to date, including IFRS impacts; seek out other policies within the company to include in the database
- Responsible for the analysis and evaluation of financial reporting and technical accounting issues including issues relating to, Canadian GAAP, IFRS, US GAAP, SEC and NAIC requirements
- Liaising with regulators and external auditors as required
- Assist in year end reporting as required
Knowledge & Skills:
- Undergraduate degree (accounting preferably)
- Professional accounting designation (CPA) is required
- 3 - 7 years experience in an insurance or financial services environment, preferably gained at a Big 4 public accounting firm or another large insurance company
- A strong financial background with a broad knowledge of the financial services sectors and the insurance business (ideally)
About John Hancock:
- In-depth technical knowledge of US GAAP. Knowledge of Statements of Statutory Accounting Principles and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) is desired but not required
- Knowledge of Canadian or US life insurance or other financial institution accounting and operations
- Demonstrated ability to lead/manage projects of various sizes
- Ability to learn/apply a large amount of technical accounting material
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Comfortable working with senior levels of management and able to cope in a fast paced, dynamic work environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills - for report writing and communication at all levels of management
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and establish priorities to meet tight deadlines. Flexible when working with changing deliverables
- A team player who possesses a positive attitude and customer service focus
- Excellent PC skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
At John Hancock you will find a wealth of opportunity both professionally and personally. Whether you take advantage of our continuous training and development offerings or participate in community events, you will have the opportunity to grow. We offer careers from Investments to IT, Finance to Marketing, Sales to Legal, and Actuarial to Human Resources, to name a few.
John Hancock is a subsidiary of Manulife Financial, a leading Canadian-based financial services group serving millions of customers in 22 countries and territories worldwide. The Company offers clients a diverse range of financial protection products and wealth management services through its extensive network of employees, agents and distribution partners. Each product and service employees its own team to support the sales, marketing, customer service, analysis, and senior management responsibilities.
For more information about our benefits and organization please visit
Agency submissions and contacts are by invitation only and must be initiated by John Hancock's Recruiting Department only. Unsolicited agency submissions will not be honored.
JOHN HANCOCK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - AA/F/M/D/V
From our humble beginnings in 1862 as a four person company formed in a single room, the name John Hancock, one of our nation's forefathers...