Job Code: 00004
Job Title: Accounting Supervisor
Opening Date/Time: Mon. 01/28/13 12:00 AM Central Time
Closing Date/Time: Thu. 02/28/13 11:59 PM Central Time
Salary: $25.94 - $41.50 Hourly$4,495.92 - $7,193.50 Monthly$53,951.00 - $86,322.00 Annually
Job Type: Full Time
Location: City Hall, 317 College Street, Grand Prairie, Texas
Exam Number: 00004
FLSA: Exempt position, not eligible for overtime compensation.
The City of Grand Prairie is looking for a highly motivated self-starter to be part of its Accounting Department as an Accounting Supervisor. The purpose of this position is to assist the City Controller with maintaining the City's books of accounts, prepare the city's comprehensive financial statements and a variety of special purpose financial statements, and manage various accounting processes. This is accomplished by supervising the completion of general accounting functions, supervising utility administrative functions, and preparing annual and interim reports. Other duties include completing special financial projects as assigned.
Skills / Requirements
- Overseeing the accounting of TXDOT and HUD Grant Funding
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close
- Ensure Accounts Payable and Payroll are in compliance with IRS regulations
- Ensure that the department is GAAP and GASB compliant and ability to understand how it relates to other city departments
- Work with the Controller to ensure a clean and timely year end audit
- Supervise A/P, Payroll and Staff Accountant to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met
- Responds to inquiries from the Director of Finance and Controller regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed
- A Bachelor's degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university is required
- Must have over three years up to and including five years accounting/financial systems experience with at least two to three years in a lead or supervisory role.
- Single audit experience and knowledge of IRS regulation related to Accounts Payable and Payroll are required.
- Municipality experience preferred as well as knowledge of governmental accounting principles, practices and procedures.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel knowledge is a plus.
- Must have a valid Class C driver's license
- Must be a Certified Public Accountant
Please click on the link below to apply for this or any other position. A new window will open and direct you to our log in page. After creating an account make sure to re-locate the position you wish to apply for and submit a resume. You can also sign up to receive periodic job updates. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Candidate must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Understand state, local and property taxes.
- Must be able to thrive in a fast-pace setting and have strong interpersonal, supervisory and customer service skills.
- Experience in LAWSON or other large automated accounting system is a plus.
City of Grand Prairie - 2 years ago