We want to attract and retain the best talent in the industry. To meet this goal, we are creating a workplace where our employees are top priority. Come join our team as a Accounting Supervisor at our Denver, CO location.
The Operations Accounting Supervisor will be responsible for supervising a staff of professional accountants and division order analysts to ensure transactions are recorded and analyzed in a timely and accurate manner and in accordance with company policies. Responsible for the accounting functions within assigned area, including internal and external customer service, management reporting and all aspects of the monthly accounting close. Duties include monthly invoicing of contractual and/or physical gas or oil that may be gathered or processed.
DEPARTMENTAL CORE COMPETENCIES:
- Accountable for all aspects of the monthly accounting and closing cycle.
- Provides extensive assistance and direction to staff members in carrying out their job responsibilities and group goals.
- Ensures transactions are recorded, documented, reviewed and supported in accordance with company policies and SOX controls.
- Review and approve monthly estimates, monthly purchase and sales transactions, monthly account reconciliations, journal entries, and monthly variance results.
- Analyzes performance reports, margin account variance analyses, key operating statistics, price/volume variances and operating results on a monthly basis.
- Answers and resolves internal and external customer inquiries, including audit inquiries from external auditors, Internal Auditing, government agencies, and producer auditors.
- Provide expertise to others in the MarkWest community for the processes in your area of responsibility.
- Ensures transactions associated with complex plant allocations and settlements, prior period adjustments, system balancing, inventories, imbalance activity, sales activity, purchase activity, and transportation are accurate and timely.
- Understanding of regulatory filings and surveys.
- Understands the full-range of the applicable operational accounting system (e.g. Quorum Suite and/or Right Angle) functionality, detailed understanding of the specific assets for which the supervisor is responsible and also has a substantial understanding of the midstream business.
- Applies experience, knowledge, analytical skills, and leadership skills to solve issues, establish efficient accounting processes/procedures and controls, and work prioritization.
- Works with other business unit accounting departments to ensure effective communication, consistency, and use of best practices.
- Actively participates in the development and coaching of staff members to provide appropriate advancement opportunities.
- Ensure adherence to applicable customer contract terms.
- Position typically has 1-2 direct reports.
- Occasional (1-2 annual) travel to field location.
Employees in this position will be required to demonstrate job related competencies in performance of the role:
Employees in this position will be required to demonstrate the following supervisory competencies in performance of this role:
- Customer Focus
- Results Oriented
SUPERVISORY DUTIES :
- Workload Management
- Process Improvements and Efficiencies
- Strong Understanding of Business Operations
- Team Leadership
- Bachelor’s degree or advanced degree in accounting, business or finance.
- Five to eight years of accounting experience with one to two years of supervisory experience preferred.
- Three to five years of oil and gas industry experience preferred.
- Technical knowledge of the Midstream operations accounting area.
- Quorum/TIPS and/or Right Angle experience preferred.
- Advanced understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Ability to work in a challenging and fast-paced environment.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Sound decision making skills.
- Effective interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Proficient in use of Excel and Word and have the aptitude to effectively learn company-specific accounting systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexible to work overtime during peak periods in order to meet monthly deadlines.
This position requires sitting throughout most of the day. It will involve some lifting and filing.
On occasion there will be outside office assignments that can involve walking around construction sites, industrial locations, field and/or wooded areas.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often exposed to outside weather conditions, which could range from extreme cold to hot, humid conditions. Walking on uneven terrain is often required during normal work duties. May require visiting and walking around some construction and industrial sites, farm properties, driving on rural roads, and other field locations, to acquire familiarity with facilities, properties and settings. High noise areas may be encountered. At all times proper PPE must be used in work areas.
Materials and Equipment Used:
The materials and equipment used on a regular basis will be a personal computer, phone, fax, copier and map printer/plotter.
MarkWest Energy Partners, L.P. is a master limited partnership engaged in the gathering, transportation, and processing of natural gas; the transportation, fractionation, marketing, and storage of natural gas liquids; and the gathering and transportation of crude oil. MarkWest has extensive natural gas gathering, processing, and transmission operations in the southwest, GulfCoast, and northeast regions of the United States, including the Marcellus Shale, and is the largest natural gas processor in the Appalachian region.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work for the position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all the responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All personnel may be required to duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed. All job descriptions are subject to change. Job functions and/or responsibilities can be amended at any time at management discretion.