We are currently looking for a talented Accounts Receivable Analyst to join our rapidly growing team in San Francisco.
The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast paced constantly changing environment; you must be able to handle a high volume of transactions requiring multi-tasking and excellent attention to detail. The Accounts Receivable Analyst should have a strong work ethic, an ability to work independently, and great communication skills.
This position works closely with staff across the organization and via phone with PLOS authors so you must enjoy and excel at building positive relationships remotely and in person. This position reports to the Controller.
Note: Candidates will be required to take various “accounting skills tests” related to using MS NAV (Navision) to enter accounts receivable data, retrieve author billing and application pay information as part of the interview process.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Be responsible for the oversight and management of the cash collection cycle, customer tracking, communicate with customers on billing/collection related issues. Person must be accurate and fast to handle high volume collections and customer inquiries. Perform daily telephone, e-mail and written contact and repeat with follow-up as needed in a sustained effort to pursue late payments and to reduce overall DSO, in support of corporate goals, standards and objectives.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills when interacting with customers in a professional manner. Ensure the timely collection of Accounts Receivable for assigned accounts using a “soft” approach, to ensure customer accounts are handled with care and diplomacy
- This is a key position in ensuring timely cash receipts (wires, checks and credit cards) and posting of accounts receivables.
- Initiate adjustments, credit memos, write-offs or refunds after thorough account analysis and per approved guidelines, to clear open items or billing errors.
- Be responsible for identifying misapplied payments, unidentified customer payments and finding updated customer contact information through persistent independent research.
- Person will periodically analyze adequacy of A/R Allowance and provide guidance for adjustment.
- Prepares monthly reports that facilitate month end close including other metrics.
- Work with team to continuously drive Billing and Collections process improvements. This includes testing and validating billing solutions from our vendor prior to user acceptance. Individual must be inquisitive and relentless in pursuit of efficiency and accuracy.
- This person is expected to be a strong team player in collaborating with the AR Analyst and Billing Specialist in the billing and collections cycle, in addition to the Finance and Accounting team. Will serve as vacation backup to handle billing.
- Assist with annual audits to provide requested information as needed.
- Ad hoc projects as requested by the Accounting Manager and/or Director of Finance with special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business-related field preferred with 2-5 years accounting experience required.
- Comfort and ability to work in a fast paced, high volume and tight deadline environment while maintaining a high degree of accuracy.
- Proficiency with MS Office including Excel (Vlookups and Pivot required), Word and Outlook.
- Proficiency with ERP accounting software applications (Microsoft Navision, a strong plus). Ability to quickly adapt and learn new systems.
- Ability to read and understand contract payment terms for contractual billing compliance.
- Excellent customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be analytical, have a high attention to detail, data integrity, and accuracy
- Resourceful problem solver. Energetic, forward-thinking, and creative, with high ethical standard.
- Self-motivated, flexible, and a quick learner. Well-organized and comfortable meeting tight deadlines.
The Public Library of Science (PLoS) - 10 months ago