Responsible for the History and Political Science discipline/product cluster P&L and leads the print and digital product development team to meet or exceed acquisition targets; development standards; and production requirements; and drive sales and marketing strategies for products and services in order to exceed annual sales and profit goals while achieving quality and budget requirements.
You will work with executive editor to expand into alternative markets and create new product models. In addition, you will coordinate with authors, SMES, production, manufacturing, marketing, distribution, and sales staff to ensure the successful launch of product line to the market place.
This position is a full time on-site position located in the Boston, MA office.
Associate Acquisitions Editor candidates will also be considered for this position.
· Primarily responsible for discipline/product cluster P&L. Initiates regular financial analyses of individual product and list plans including annual P&L approval cycles and portfolio strategy meetings. Suggests and monitors management-confirmed budgets and schedules. Serves as visionary, project leader, and advocate for the discipline within the company and for customers.
· Partners closely with marketing and sales teams to seed and secure adoptions through reviewing, focus groups, advisory boards, campus/convention travel, etc. Responsible for overall strategic vision and plan for each title and for the discipline/product cluster list as a whole in order to achieve or exceed strategic goals for market share, top-line, and profit growth
· Responsible for acquiring new product/author talent for the Company. Anticipates discipline and industry trends, with a focus digital learning solutions grounded in a market knowledge gained through campus travel and market research. Researches and maintains an author/subject matter expert talent tracking system that yields results.
· Commission content providers, including SME’s and co-authors, as needed to execute on product plans.
· Initiates, advocates, and negotiates profitable products alternative markets and channels, strategic partnerships, all in response to new teaching/learning and business models. Concludes contracts that are both equitable and profitable for the publisher and author and that add measurable value to the publisher’s global offerings.
·Works with a product team that works collaboratively with each other and partners in other functional areas to meet product, list, and company market share, top-line, and profitability growth objectives.
· Ensures that the product team implements and provides constructive feedback to improve company best practices standards and procedures that ensure quality development, cost-effective and on-schedule production/manufacturing, and competitive marketing and sales programs.
· Oversees and actively manages the development of new and revised products to achieve company quality and strategic goals (market share, top-line, and profitability growth). Works closely with the director of development, editorial management, development and media editors, assistant editors, editorial assistants, and other functional areas (production, marketing, manufacturing, etc.) to implement and continuously improve development of best practices.
· Ensures formal plan checks for first edition and “break-out” products to occur on schedule and are productive. Applies informal plan checks to all products under development, with a focus on growing revisions’ market shares. Responsible for ensuring that innovative, competitive, and high quality products and services are delivered to the market place on schedule and according to budget.
· Responsible for ensuring production, manufacturing, marketing, and sales process meet project plans and are executed on time and on budget. Works closely with colleagues in other functional areas (GPMS, marketing, sales, distribution, etc.) to convey the strategic vision for the discipline, provide feedback when activity does not support the strategic vision, and to assist meeting goals. Ensures that manuscript transmissions are complete, accurate, and on schedule. Participates as appropriate in the production and marketing processes.
· Makes presentations at company sales meetings, campus visits, and academic conventions in support of sales efforts and to drive sales.
· Compare Cengage products with their competitors and prepare comparison documents, including recommendations for improving Cengage’s products.
· Bachelor’s Degree
· A least two (2) years of successful experience as a college sales representative and/or at least three (3) years in-house editorial, marketing, or media product acquisition/development experience with a demonstrated track record in managing, developing and publishing successful products.
· Will consider candidates with at least two years of sales experience, but no in-house editorial experience.
· Will consider candidates with no sales experience, five years of in-house editorial experience managing key products/franchises and with a demonstrated track record in developing and publishing successful products.
· For the Assoc. Acq. Ed level, candidates will be considered who have two years publishing experience, preferably in Editorial, Marketing, or Sales, a proven track record of results.
· Strong leadership, communication, and negotiation skills, and proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
· Proven track record of results
· Excellent recruiting and training skills required
· Demonstrate strong leadership, creative, planning, and problem-solving skills
· Superior written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to manage successfully across boundaries required
· Must be able to develop and manage a large number of projects simultaneously, on schedule, within budget and with moderate supervision
· Must work well in teams.
· A minimum of 4 weeks of intermittent travel on campus during both the spring and fall, and attendance at various conferences and sales meetings.
Cengage Learning is an equal opportunity employer, committed to attracting and retaining a talented and diverse workforce. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.
CengageCareers Account Login
If you do not remember your password click here .
Back to Search Results
Cengage Learning provides courseware, specialized content, print textbooks, homework and study tools, and e-learning services for...