Interweave, a leading publisher of craft-enthusiast books, is looking for a creative, detail-oriented, organized and motivated self-starter to join their hardworking editorial team.
The Acquisitions Editor is responsible for acquiring 35-45 craft titles per year, focusing on the following categories: knit/crochet; quilting/sewing; jewelry/metalwork; spinning/weaving; and mixed-media. The Acquisitions Editor works with potential authors to develop initial book concepts and detailed book outlines, and helps authors develop projects, mood boards, and other supporting materials.
The Acquisitions Editor is also responsible for creating book P&L’s, writing book proposals and collecting all relevant materials, and presenting to the Pub Board and Publisher twice per month.
This position reports directly to the Editorial Director for Interweave Books/
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acquire approximately 35 to 45 craft titles per year.
- Follow trends via on-line crafting communities, trade shows, and current book and magazine publications; research competing products.
- Identify new or strong categories or talent; approach authors
- Work closely with authors, develop robust and detailed book concepts, and bring into line with current consumer trends. Develop and articulate editorial vision for book in collaboration with Author
- Conduct research for every proposed title: identify and analyze competitive titles, evaluate consumer need, and identify unique selling points.
- Present titles and Author materials to Publisher, Editorial Director, and Pub Board for approval.
- Create P&L’s for every book and gain publisher approval for all editorial and production expenses. Identify books that have non-standard editorial or design considerations, and communicate with Editorial Director or Design on these
- Manage author relations throughout process, in conjunction with development.
- Participate in Cover and Design reviews; help create tip sheets and marketing materials.
- Maintain good working relations with agents and repeat authors. Develop new relationships with potential authors and agents.
- Maintain Publishing Calendar and Author contact log
- Manage any co-edition titles: review materials, present to Pub Board, and negotiate any contracts
- Other responsibilities and duties as assigned by management.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete our online application .
- 2 years of book industry experience required, preferably with craft or illustrated DIY titles
- Strong knowledge of craft industry trends and personalities. Some ability in at least 2 acquisition areas is strongly recommended.
- Strong writing, collaboration and communication skills are a must, including a proven ability to work directly with several authors at a time
- Process-oriented, able to manage multiple tasks and schedules at any time
- Must take a creative approach to market research and integrate into product development process.
- Must be organized, detail-oriented and able to manage a varied workload and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of common office software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe, and Outlook.
This entry was posted in Careers , Editorial . Bookmark the permalink .
← Editor- Firearms and Outdoor Groups
Comments are closed.
F+W Media, Inc. - 24 months ago