Title: Actuarial Analysis Officer
Reports To: Executive Director
Department: Executive Admin
Division: Executive Services
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
FLSA Status: Exempt
Number of Openings : 1
Accepting Applications: 1/25/13 until 2/1/13
SUMMARY: This position plans and directs all actuarial activities and actuarial related analyses for pension and health care.
1. Develops funding strategy recommendations through collaboration with the Executive Director and external actuaries.
2. Oversees the development and maintenance of an internal actuarial database and software.
3. Develops studies supporting legislative needs for the federal and state level activity.
4. Recommends changes to pension plans and health care plans as appropriate.
5. Maintains and monitors the contribution rate allocation strategy.
6. Develops and delivers presentations to the Board of Trustees regarding actuarial initiatives.
7. Ensures internal controls over actuarial data are adequately designed and operating effectively.
8. Coordinates reporting requirements of the external actuary with internal project teams preparing the data.
9. Coordinates with actuary, and participates in legislative actuarial analyses as needed.
10. Works with the operational divisions to ensure appropriate implementation of actuarial updates.
11. Other duties may be assigned.
Organizational and Human Resources
1. Performs all supervisory functions in accordance with OPERS’ practices and policies.
2. Develops and manages staff to facilitate career growth and professional development, while following OPERS management philosophy and guidelines.
3. Recruits and retains a qualified competent professional staff.
4. Provides regular periodic evaluations and constructive guidance of staff members.
5. Emphasizes and promotes professional and ethical conduct.
6. Carries out any necessary disciplinary actions in conjunction with Human Resources
7. Annually and in conjunction with the Manager, develops objectives as derived from the strategic business plan.
8. Participates in the annual budget process and performs monthly monitoring.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- High degree of accuracy in performing detailed assignments.
- Strong analytical, statistical sampling and modeling skills
- Strong background in math and statistics
- Bachelor’s degree actuarial science, mathematics, finance, business or related filed required.
- Master's degree preferred.
- A minimum of 7 years finance related experience required.
- A minimum of 5 years progressive supervisory experience preferred
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as statutes, rules, plan documents, financial and legal documents, policy and procedure manuals, GASB pronouncements, etc. required.
- Ability to write reports, policies and procedures, and prepare effective presentations required.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.required.
- Intermediate to advanced MS Word; MS Excel; Internet Explorer (browser software) and MS Outlook required.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, skills and responsibilities required.
- CPA preferred
- Actuarial certification preferred