Western & Southern Financial Group has an immediate opportunity for an Actuarial Analyst.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Provides and verifies data and actuarial reports necessary for product and financial management utilizing actuarial principles and mathematical analysis. Works with some supervision and is responsible to make a minimal range of decisions, escalating to VP/AVP when appropriate and updating VP/AVP on a regular basis. Applies actuarial principles to practical problems correctly.
• Gathers, organizes and formats data from various sources, reviews for reasonableness and provides this data for internal and external use.
• Applies mathematical, statistical and technical skills to analyze data and reports.
• Ensures accuracy of calculations and statistical analysis despite time constraints.
• Answers mathematical, financial and/or product-related questions from other departments.
• Learns and applies Company and departmental work standards, including those for documentation, functions and interrelationships of departments.
• Obtains, verifies and organizes Company experience to be used in product development, financial reporting, forecasting, and/or industry surveys.
• Assists in the development and modification of complex technical programs, applying formulas and methods to analyze products, calculate reserves, project financial results and/or assess profitability and risk.
• Implements actuarial measures with guidance. Verifies accuracy and maintains documentation.
• Executes pricing, valuation and asset-liability runs, selecting the correct model and input data and ensuring internal consistency of all assumptions, product features and in-force data. Reviews for reasonableness and assists in analyzing results.
• Documents projects in writing in accordance with established guidelines.
• Performs other duties assigned by management.
• Proven experience in exercising good judgment, problem-solving skills, time management skills.
• Proven strong analytical skills, including demonstrated experience identifying and quantifying problems and providing effective resolutions.
• Demonstrated experience setting professional goals and successfully implementing and achieving those goals.
• Cite examples of working independently and as part of a team.
• Bachelor’s degree in mathematics or related field.
• Successful completion of at least one Society of Actuaries examination.
Computer Skills and Knowledge of Hardware & Software Required:
• Proficient in word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
• Commitment to learn actuarial software packages such as those used for valuation (ARCVal), experience studies (ARCBase) and/or pricing and projections (MG-ALFA).
• Commitment to learn the companies’ policy administrative systems: how they work and how to extract data from them.
Certifications & Licenses (i.e. Series 6 & 63, CPA, etc.):
• Actively pursue FSA designation by attempting a Society of Actuaries exam at each sitting.
• Passes at least 50% of the exams attempted.
• Adheres to all other Actuarial Exam and other Administrative rules.
• Extended hours required during peak workloads or special projects.
• Balances work demands with the need to pass actuarial exams, which requires intense mental focus and approximately 300 hours of study time in a four-month period, with two such periods each year.
Western & Southern Financial Group, a Fortune 500 company, is a dynamic family of diversified financial services companies that provides life insurance, annuities, mutual funds, retirement planning and investment products and services to help millions of consumers nationwide to plan and protect their financial futures.
With more than 5,000 associates and more than 50,000 individuals in our selling group, Western & Southern offers consumers and businesses the financial products and services they require to meet their insurance needs and investment goals. Having reached more in excess of $50 billion in assets owned and under management, we are leveraging our industry leading financial strength to fuel our growth through strategic acquisitions, increases in our current product revenue stream and expansion into new distribution channels and businesses.
Western & Southern provides a host of benefits that include medical, dental, life, pension, 401K, free fitness facility, on-site cafeteria, and generously subsidized parking. Western & Southern promotes a stable, fulfilling and challenging environment with an emphasis on excellence and continued career development.
Western & Southern Financial
- 2 years ago - save job