Western & Southern has an immediate opening for an Actuarial Analyst.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Provides and verifies data and actuarial reports necessary for product and financial management utilizing actuarial principles and mathematical analysis. Works with some supervision and is responsible to make a minimal range of decisions, escalating to VP/AVP when appropriate and updating VP/AVP on a regular basis. Applies actuarial principles to practical problems correctly.
• Gathers, organizes and formats data from various sources, reviews for reasonableness and provides this data for internal and external use.
• Applies mathematical, statistical and technical skills to analyze data and reports.
• Ensures accuracy of calculations and statistical analysis despite time constraints.
• Answers mathematical, financial and/or product-related questions from other departments.
• Learns and applies Company and departmental work standards, including those for documentation, functions and interrelationships of departments.
• Obtains, verifies and organizes Company experience to be used in product development, financial reporting, forecasting, and/or industry surveys.
• Assists in the development and modification of complex technical programs, applying formulas and methods to analyze products, calculate reserves, project financial results and/or assess profitability and risk.
• Implements actuarial measures with guidance. Verifies accuracy and maintains documentation.
• Executes pricing, valuation and asset-liability runs, selecting the correct model and input data and ensuring internal consistency of all assumptions, product features and in-force data. Reviews for reasonableness and assists in analyzing results.
• Documents projects in writing in accordance with established guidelines.
• Performs other duties assigned by management.
• Proven experience in exercising good judgment, problem-solving skills, time management skills.
• Proven strong analytical skills, including demonstrated experience identifying and quantifying problems and providing effective resolutions.
• Demonstrated experience setting professional goals and successfully implementing and achieving those goals.
• Cite examples of working independently and as part of a team.
• Bachelor’s degree in mathematics or related field.
• Successful completion of at least one Society of Actuaries examination.
Computer Skills and Knowledge of Hardware & Software Required:
• Proficient in word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
• Commitment to learn actuarial software packages such as those used for valuation (ARCVal), experience studies (ARCBase) and/or pricing and projections (MG-ALFA).
• Commitment to learn the companies’ policy administrative systems: how they work and how to extract data from them.
Certifications & Licenses (i.e. Series 6 & 63, CPA, etc.):
• Actively pursue FSA designation by attempting a Society of Actuaries exam at each sitting.
• Passes at least 50% of the exams attempted.
• Adheres to all other Actuarial Exam and other Administrative rules.
• Extended hours required during peak workloads or special projects.
• Balances work demands with the need to pass actuarial exams, which requires intense mental focus and approximately 300 hours of study time in a four-month period, with two such periods each year.
Western & Southern Life, a member of Western & Southern Financial Group (Western & Southern), offers life insurance, interest-sensitive life insurance, fixed annuities, retirement strategies and personalized needs analysis for individuals, families and businesses in the middle-income market. It serves customers through a network of career financial representatives who work in more than 180 offices nationwide and through its award-winning website, WSLife.com, and state-of-the-art call center, the Client Relationship Center.
Backed by more than 125 years of financial strength, Western & Southern Life has been providing its clients with superior personalized service since 1888. The company holds the 2014 Top 100 Military Friendly Employer® designation awarded by Victory Media, publisher of “G.I. Jobs” and “Military Spouse.”
Located in exciting downtown Cincinnati, Ohio, Western & Southern provides associates a host of benefits, including medical and dental coverage, life insurance, company-funded pension plan, 401(k), free fitness facility, free on-site cafeteria, and generously subsidized parking. Western & Southern promotes a stable, fulfilling and challenging environment with an emphasis on excellence and continued career development.
Western & Southern Financial - 7 months ago
copy to clipboard