Title: ADAMS COUNTY FIXED ROUTE OPERATOR
Reports To: OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR
FLSA Status: NON-EXEMPT
Date: June 25, 2009
The driver is responsible for operating a van/bus to transport passengers in a safe and courteous manner according to published routes and timetables. The driver is responsible for driving defensively and reacting to emergency situations to ensure the safety of the passengers and the safety of the general public. Work includes completion of vehicle inspections, maintaining accurate records, assisting passengers as required including wheelchair securements, receiving and accounting for fares, radio communications, following emergency procedures, and other activities as assigned by the Operations Manager.
This position reports to the Operations Supervisor. This position receives driver training, general supervision and works according to standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1.Prepares for daily run by reporting to dispatch at scheduled time, in physical condition to fulfill the essential functions of driving a vehicle and adhering to the dress code. Obtains assignment, reviews any posted notices, and communicates any irregularities to dispatch.
2.Ensures vehicle is safe and reliable prior to operation by conducting an inspection and performing daily pre- and post-trip inspection checklist and completing a non-compliance report and returning it to the Dispatcher or Supervisor for resolution if necessary.
3.Provides public transit services by safely operating assigned vehicle to pick up and deliver passengers on a fixed route in a courteous and professional manner in accordance with specified time schedule and under all weather, traffic and passenger load conditions. Works variable shifts, irregular hours and is available for overtime in accordance with CBA.
4.Maintains safe conditions by complying with traffic regulations; observing traffic conditions; avoiding dangerous situations, and enforcing passenger safety/conduct rules.
5.Complies with all ADA mandates by assisting with boarding and departing passengers with disabilities including the operation of wheelchair lifts and securing devices.
6.Represents the Authority in a professional and positive manner and ensures a positive passenger experience by listening to complaints regarding delays or problems encountered in the provision of services. Answers questions from passengers regarding fares, schedules and routing. Regulates heating, cooling and ventilation systems for passenger comfort. Maintains the vehicle interior in a neat condition during service operation.
7.Assists passengers requiring aid (including elderly individuals, individuals with hearing and sight impairments, physically/developmentally disabled individuals, etc.) by helping them board or depart from the vehicle, assisting them with packages, securing wheelchairs announcing required and special request stops, etc.
8.Follows proper emergency procedures in the event of an accident or safety incident by following established procedures including by not limited to notifying dispatcher or supervisor, securing accident/safety incident scene, tending to passengers, obtaining witness cards, deferring media statements to proper channels, and completing an accident report.
9.Ensures proper receipts to the Authority by collecting fares according to established fare categories, completing ridership forms as required, completing any passenger reports and providing transfers for passenger connections with other routes.
10.Ensures operation communications and resolutions in accordance with Federal Communications Commission guidelines by utilizing two-way radio to contacting dispatch to timely and accurately report all irregularities, delays, accidents, incidents, requests for emergency maintenance, and safety/operation problems as they occur, preparing written report of event. Listens and complies with all communications/directions from dispatch.
11.Maintains driving knowledge and skills by participating in safety and related training programs that are made available.
12.Ensures compliance by complying with ACTA's policies and procedures and local, state and government regulations. Maintains regular attendance and performs duties and responsibilities as assigned.
13.Contributes to the team effort by training assigned employees, participating in problem solving methods, and maintaining a cooperative relationship with coworkers and management.
Requirements listed represent the knowledge, skill, and/or ability, mental/physical demands and work environments required to perform the essential job functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions if it does not present an undue hardship.
HS degree or equivalent
Job related experience preferred.
Must be 21 years of age.
Must have an acceptable driving record in accordance with ACTA standards.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out transportation services.
Ability to keep mentally alert and maintain concentration
Knowledge of safe driving practices
Ability to understand and adhere to Authority rules, procedures, directions and PA traffic rules.
Good attendance and availability to bid runs
Ability to deal courteously and effectively with the public
Ability to operate a two-way radio
Ability to read maps
Ability to follow a schedule
Ability to complete records
Ability to communicate effective and follow oral and written instructions that are given in English
Ability to operate of transit vehicle in a safe and efficient manner
Ability to enforce all ACTA rules and procedures with passengers.
PHYSICALS, CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Possession of a valid PA CDL with Air Brake and Passenger endorsements
Negative drug testing - subject to random alcohol and drug testing
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Majority of time is spent in vehicle. Regularly exposed to vehicle noise, fumes, drafts, etc. when vehicle is in operation. Regular exposure to elements such as rain, snow, high or low temperatures.
- Work involves extended periods of sitting, regular standing, walking and crouching, stooping, kneeling, pushing, pulling.
- Use of legs and body torso to climb steps in bus, assist passengers when necessary and maintain body equilibrium to prevent falling when working on slippery surfaces during wither months and all weather conditions.
- Ability to do lifting, securing and maneuvering objects such as wheelchairs with passengers with a broad range of body weights.
- Requires continuous use of hands, arms, feet, and legs to push/pull or activate essential controls (pedals, levers, and knobs) in recurring operational motions. Right and left side of body is used in steering, opening and closing doors, assisting passengers into and out of vehicle, carrying bags of groceries and related tasks.
- Requires the capacity to hear and ability to speak normal conversation in clear English.
- Must have good vision and depth perception.
- Requires the ability to have a good demeanor, behavior and rapport with public under stressful or emotionally charged situations.
- Requires the capacity to apply common sense understanding of controlling procedures and policies to carry out transportation services.
- Must have the physical/mental ability to quickly assist passengers and maintain composure in times of emergency or passenger incidents.
- Ability to keep mentally alert and maintain concentration to ensure defensive driving techniques are used and to react to situations.
- Must be able to maintain regular and acceptable attendance at the employer's standards to meet position requirements.
- Position requires that employee conducts all tasks in a safe and efficient manner complying with all local, state and federal safety and health regulations, programmatic standards, and with any special safety concerns identified by ACTA for use in a particular area or with a client. The employee must identify and familiarize himself/herself with the Safety and Security Plan and with specific safety and security requirements for his/her working area. Employee must not pose a direct threat or significant risk of substantial harm to the safety or health or himself/herself or others.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between ACTA and the employee and ACTA's management reserves the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
rabbittransit - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard