Adjunct Faculty - Beginning ESL
Posting Start Date:
Posting End Date:
Open Until Filled
Commensurate with Education/Experience
Per Credit Hour
2011: Less than MA = $718; MA or above = $747
2012: Less than MA = $734; MA or above = $764
2013: Less than MA = $751; MA or above = $781
Exempt or Non-Exempt:
English As a Second Language
Flexible work schedule specifics:
Hours vary and may include day, evening and weekend responsibilities. Courses are taught in a classroom setting. Please indicate your availability in your cover letter.
Hours per week:
Weeks per year:
Adjunct teaching faculty instruct students and evaluate their progress to facilitate students in attaining their educational goals. Beginning ESL faculty will teach ESL courses to students functioning within the Beginning ESL levels within the Adult Basic Education Department.
1. Conduct assigned classes and/or labs
2. Prepare lessons
3. Provide course syllabus (which shall include grading standards, attendance policies, classroom behavioral expectations, course outline and contact information)
4. Verify student enrollment and submit grade sheets
If a lab is involved:
5. Prepare labs
6. Enforce lab safety procedures
Evaluate Student Progress
1. Keep accurate record of student performance
2. Provide students with timely feedback
Provide Student Assistance
1. Maintain office hours and voice-mail/e-mail communication
2. Refer students to student support services
3. Accommodate special needs students
1. Participate in professional growth activities relevant to improvement of instruction in the Beginning Level classroom at least 6 hours per year.
Essential Responsibilities Continued:
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of this position and it is not intended to be exhaustive. In addition to the job description, faculty members teaching in grant supported programs are required to adhere and to comply with all provisions, qualifications, policies, and procedures set forth in the grant. In the event that the grant requirements contradict or add to the job description, the requirements of the grant will take precedence.
Does Not Supervise
The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. A bachelor's degree in Education, Foreign Language, Applied Linguistics, or related field
2. 1-2 years of teaching experience in ESL at the Beginning level
Special Instructions to Applicants:
ECC continuously accepts applications for adjunct faculty to establish a broad and diverse pool of available candidates. By submitting an application for this posting you are applying to be a part of ECC's adjunct faculty pool for a potential course that may be offered in the summer, fall, and/or spring session. There may not be current opening.
Applications and transcripts are evaluated prior to the selection of interviewees. To receive full consideration, include undergraduate and graduate college transcripts. Transcripts can be attached to your online application, faxed, or mailed directly to the Human Resources Department. Copies of transcripts are acceptable with initial application, however official transcripts will be required upon employment.
Materials Required to Complete the Application Process for this Position:
Cover Letter/Letter of Application Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Quicklink for Posting:
Elgin Community College - 14 months ago