Come be a part of a team driven to transform teacher education and committed to preparing educators to be the best they can be for their P-12 students! As an Adjunct Instructor, you would play an integral role in the development of graduate students by teaching them how to teach in their specific content area and grade level. You would relay your expertise by delivering content instruction to graduate students in monthly Saturday sessions while working alongside a team of talented educators and leaders, dedicated to continuous growth and development themselves.
Shana Pyatt, Science Department Chair at North Star Academy and a Relay GSE Newark Adjunct Instructor shares, “this program is designed to develop teachers to be fantastic developers of children. As teachers committed to furthering our own education and determined to sharpen our own craft, we prepare our students to also be life-long learners.” In addition to preparing teachers to change the life trajectory of their students, this opportunity stands to be an incredibly enriching professional experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Preparation & Instruction
Student Assessment & Support
- Review pre-class day email correspondence in a timely manner and complete necessary action steps
- Prepare for (e.g. complete online pre-work, modify provided session plans, prepare materials) and teach a group of graduate students on ten Saturdays (one per month) for the 2013-2014 school year
- Update online syllabus with pre-work and other information about upcoming Saturday content instruction
- Participate in Adjunct Instructor meetings at the conclusion of each Saturday’s instruction
- Score graduate students’ assessments within two weeks of the assessment due date and ensure that all scores and comments are recorded on the Course Platform
- Respond to emails from graduate students and colleagues within two business days
- Maintain accurate and timely professionalism logs and scores
- Attend Adjunct Instructor orientation twice a year in order to review the curriculum and learn effective and engaging techniques developed by Relay GSE’s instructional leaders
- Debrief instructional strengths and growth areas from session observations with Relay GSE leaders
- Share all resources used in Saturday sessions and provide feedback on curriculum
- Perform other duties as assigned
First and foremost, the Adjunct Instructor must share the team’s sense of urgency about the need to improve student achievement through phenomenal teacher training. Additionally, candidates for the position must have the following:
- Master’s degree
- At least four years teaching experience with demonstrated student achievement (in specified content area)
- Experience coaching teachers
- Ability to commit approximately 20-25 hours per month to the role
- Ability to work efficiently, intensely, and within an entrepreneurial environment
- A demonstrated passion for urban education and closing the achievement gap
Relay GSE offers a competitive salary on an hourly basis. Adjunct compensation is derived from the expected time required to prepare sessions, lead sessions and grade graduate students’ assignments.