Job descriptions are intended to present a general list of tasks/duties performed by employees within this job classification. Job Descriptions are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Investigate, negotiate, adjust and settle a variety of claims filed against the City including workers compensation claims and/or general liability claims; apply knowledge of applicable laws and policies to determine disposition of claims and perform a variety of technical tasks relative to assigned areas of responsibility.
Minimum Education, Experience And Additional Requirements:
Related education and experience may be interchangeable on a year for year basis.
Associate's degree in business, public administration, risk management or a related field, plus four (4) years experience in claims administration or a related field.
Possession of a New Mexico Driver's License (Class D) or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
Possession of a City Operator's Permit (COP) within 6 months from date of hire.
Possession of a valid New Mexico Adjusters License and become bonded within six (6) months from date of hire.
- Principles and procedures of insurance claim processing
- Methods and techniques for financial auditing of insurance claim invoices and payment processing
- Basic operations and activities of a claims settlement program
- Modern principles and practices of claims administration
- Methods and techniques of field investigations
- Basic mathematical principles
- Methods and techniques of evaluating and assessing personal or property loss
- Principles and procedures of record keeping
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations
Preferred Skills & Abilities:
- Evaluate and determine claim liability
- Negotiate claims settlements
- Perform field investigations to determine exact facts and causes of loss
- Audit and approve medical invoices for payment
- Learn complex data gathering principles and practices
- Interpret and explain City policies and procedures
- Communicate clearly and concisely
- Perform the essential duties of the job with or without reasonable accommodation
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including City officials and the general public
City of Albuquerque - 4 months ago