Administrative Aide (Level 7)
Main Campus (Houghton, MI)
Full-Time Equivalent (1.0=100%)
Salary or Hourly Rate
Minimum $13.37 (External candidates will receive the minimum hourly rate)
Position Duration Dependent on External Funding?
Title of Position Supervisor
Executive Director, Alumni Relations
Position Summary Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Description Summary
In a fast paced environment, provide comprehensive administrative support functions for the Office of Alumni Relations and for the Michigan Tech Alumni Association ( MTUAA ). Must be able to positively represent the department and respond to the needs of alumni of all ages, students, faculty, staff, volunteers, major donors, class representatives, special group coordinators and others with direct interests.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Act as department liaison to internal and external constituents providing exemplary customer service. Use good judgment and discretion to resolve non-routine issues; independently respond to questions about policies and procedures to resolve issues and/or facilitate contact with appropriate personnel when required. Identify problems, independently analyze information, and, in consultation with colleagues, take initiative to develop solutions
2. Reception of visitors to Alumni House and assist with wireless access, parking, HuskyLink, and alumni email inquiries.
3. Receive and screen incoming phone calls, handle routine inquiries, escalate inquiries as needed to other staff members
4. Provide support to alumni and friends regarding concerns/questions/requests for re-connection
5. Forward “opt out” requests, employment and address changes to Development Operations for Banner updates
7. Receive and distribute department mail, prepare packages for shipping
8. Prepare event attendee name tags and rosters, provide post-event attendee lists for Banner updates
9. Maintain multiple departmental, Presidential Council of Alumnae ( PCA ) and MTUAA Board of Director list serves
10. Stock and maintain office and event supply inventory
11. Act as the Alumni House Manager; granting security access, scheduling repairs, etc.
12. Provide administrative support to the Michigan Tech Student Foundation ( MTSF ) including managing the online store
13. Provide administrative support to the Michigan Tech Retired Employees Association
14. Perform a wide variety of administrative functions for staff such as assisting with special projects and preparing reports
15. Compose routine correspondence for the Alumni Association President and the Executive Director
16. Act as the Human Resources liaison for the department; processing EPAFs and approving payroll time sheets
17. Serve as the space, equipment and safety coordinator for the department
18. Manage department accounts and budgets including online store, purchasing card reallocations, affinity partner revenue, TouchNet batch settlements, Image Now document uploads, and perform month end accounting duties including generating journal entries and remittance reports
19. Process registration and RSVP responses for alumni events-credit card, check and cash via web, telephone, mail and in person
20. Manage and reconcile petty cash fund account
21. Coordinate the distribution of multiple student awards including the MTUAA Traditions of Giving Scholarships/Fellowships, MTSF and Helman scholarships
22. Maintain and update standard operating procedures, contacts, vendors and policies in departmental “wiki”
23. Use online calendar (Google) and document collaboration (Google Drive) tools to support departmental and MTUAA initiatives
24. Provide administrative support to the MTUAA Board of Directors including:
• Responsible for the coordination of logistics for the bi-annual Board of Directors meetings including facility bookings, catering securing hotel room blocks, meeting materials and technical support
• Prepare monthly reports on MTUAA income and expenditures and budgets and review with the Board Treasurer
• Assist the Board Treasurer in the preparation of semi-annual comprehensive financial reports
• Assist MTUAA Executive Committee members and project teams in preparations for regularly scheduled and ad hoc conference calls
25. Assist at local chapter events, campus events (i.e. Homecoming, Commencement and Winter Carnival) and regional events as required. Participate in post-event evaluation meetings
26. Provide additional support for Alumni Relations functions, as needed. This includes evening and weekend hours during peak periods during the year such as Winter Carnival, Commencement, Alumni Reunion, and Homecoming. (Please note: Leave requests for the period from the middle of July through the middle of August will not be approved.)
27. Serve as a member of the Michigan Tech Alumni Reunion Planning Committee
28. Assist with the financial management of the annual Alumni Reunion through HuskyLink and Banner as well as manage other “behind the scenes” aspects of Reunion planning, execution and follow-up
29. Work at the Reunion Registration area and assist at events
30. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives
31. Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES :
Functional supervision may be exercised over student assistants.
Required Education (minimum requirements)
• High school diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
• Five years experience in secretarial or administrative support.
• Five years experience using personal computers and basic software packages (including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software)
• Experience using advanced features of word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database software
• Experience using advanced features of online calendars and document collaboration tools
Desirable Education and/or Experience
Experience using Banner, Discoverer, Image Now and Access Online systems
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
• Demonstrated accounting and/or budget experience.
• Demonstrated ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule including evenings and occasional weekends.
• Excellent interpersonal, customer service and written/oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously and effectively with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
• Demonstrated ability to independently organize and prioritize work assignments in a complex work environment.
• Demonstrated ability to work under conditions of frequent and multiple interruptions.
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines with attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
• Demonstrated ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
• Demonstrated ability to utilize a variety of resources to gather information.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and take initiative to solve problems.
• Demonstrated ability to use judgment when dealing with highly confidential information.
• Demonstrated ability to explain and convey complex information.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and contribute to the overall smooth operation of the department.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively adapt to change.
• Demonstrated understanding of proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
• Demonstrated ability to learn new computer software skills.
• Ability to read and comprehend complex instructions, correspondence and memos. Ability to compose routine and non-routine correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one situations to students, faculty, staff, and individuals external to the department.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
• Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills
LANGUAGE SKILLS :
Ability to read and understand basic documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write simple reports and correspondence. Ability to present information effectively in one on one situations to students, staff, faculty, and other Michigan Tech employees.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS :
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
REASONING ABILITY :
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
Ability to deal with problems in standardized situations.
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands: *
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The work environment is that of a typical office and/or classroom setting.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; climb or balance; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to talk or hear; and use hands to finger, handle or feel an object. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee is regularly required to move materials up and down one flight of stairs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Personal Protective Equipment ( PPE ): *
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 3 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training: **
• Employee Safety Overview
• Sexual Harassment Training
• Annual Data Security Training
Posting Detail Information
Internal Posting Date
External Posting Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Michigan Technological University - 13 months ago
Michigan Tech (www.mtu.edu) is ranked among the top public universities in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The university has...