Facilities Management Administration
Main Campus (Houghton, MI)
Full-Time Equivalent (1.0=100%)
Salary or Hourly Rate
Position Duration Dependent on External Funding?
Title of Position Supervisor
Executive Director, Facilities Management
Position Summary Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Description Summary
Provide comprehensive administrative support functions for the Executive Director of Facilities Management plus the Director of Engineering Services and the Transportation Services Office. Must be able to positively represent the department and respond to the needs of all campus departments, general contractors, students, and the community. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
• Act as department liaison to internal constituents providing exemplary customer service; receive and screen incoming phone calls, handle routine inquiries and use good judgment and discretion to resolve non-routing issues; independently respond to questions about policies and procedures to resolve issues and/or facilitate contact with appropriate personnel when required. Identify problems, independently analyze information, and, in consultation with the Executive Director, take initiative to develop solutions.
• Perform a wide variety of administrative functions for staff such as making travel arrangements, assisting with special projects, and preparing reports.
• Act as the Human Resources liaison for the department; processing EPAFs and approving payroll time sheets.
• Manage department accounts and budgets including purchasing card reallocations and perform month end accounting duties including generating remittance reports.
• Compose routine correspondence.
• Prepare the Annual State of Michigan Capital Outlay request.
• Develop, interact, and maintain positive relationships with all university departments.
• Prepare, post, and distribute bid contracts to outside vendors for various university projects.
• Maintain and publish the Monthly Project Management report.
• Maintain numerous activity files for the Executive Director of Facilities Management.
• Receive and route service calls to the building Zone Managers, Zone Engineers, Grounds crew, and Trade workers.
• Operate and communicate with various elements of the Facilities Management staff via VHF radio sets.
• Maintain and monitor all departmental purchase cards and parking lot access cards.
• Greet the public in a professional manner.
• Manage the student Operations Analysts. This includes recording work hours, schedules, training, and project management.
• Maintain the meeting calendar for the Executive Director of Facilities Management and the conference room usage.
• Manage or initiate correspondence to the entire university that is originated by the Executive Director of Facilities Management.
• Maintain the list of quality contractor bidders for all university projects.
• Maintain all Facilities Management correspondent archives and project bids.
• Maintain confidential files, information, and communications.
• Assist with customer service in Husky Motors.
• Provide technical support for the Facilities Management staff with Maintenance Direct.
• Maintain and update all data entry for Maintenance Direct and Preventative Maintenance.
• Assist all employees with questions or concerns regarding Maintenance Direct.
• Update monthly the MIS Dashboard website for Facilities Management. This site is viewed by department heads and the Executive Team.
• Conduct weekly training classes for Maintenance Direct for all employees.
• Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
Required Education (minimum requirements)
High School diploma and/or experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
• Five years progressive office/clerical experience.
• Five years experience using personal computers and basic software packages.
• Experience using advanced features of spreadsheet/database applications such as creating macros, using range names, or using the file extract/combine feature.
• Strong accounting/bookkeeping experience or training.
• Solid experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, and Outlook.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
• Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of professionalism.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and take the initiative to solve problems.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently to organize and prioritize multiple work assignments.
• Superior interpersonal, customer service and written/oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to design, compile, edit, assess for clarity, and proofread reports, proposals, handbooks, and various other documents.
• Demonstrated knowledge of proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
• Demonstrated ability to work with accuracy and attention to detail.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively under conditions with frequent and multiple interruptions.
• Demonstrated ability to work under short deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability to use judgment when dealing with confidential information and with customers.
• Demonstrated creative abilities.
• Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team.
• Demonstrated willingness to be open-minded and be open to new experiences.
• Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
Payroll processing experience.
Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS :
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, suing whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Additionally, the individual must understand basic accounting principles and excel spreadsheet equations.
REASONING ABILITY :
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk and hear; use hands to operate computers and basic office equipment. The employee is occasionally required to walk; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and reach with hands and arms.
• The employee may be required to lift/move up to 25 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
REQUIRED TRAINING :
Office Safety; Slips, Trips, and Falls; Employee Safety Overview; Sexual Harassment Training; Annual Data Security Training
Posting Detail Information
Internal Posting Date
External Posting Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
UAW Internal Only Posting
All external applications received on this posting will NOT be reviewed by the committee. All external applicants should apply if the position is reposted Internal/External.
Michigan Tech (www.mtu.edu) is ranked among the top public universities in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The university has...