Founded in 1919, Braille Institute of America is one of the largest and most comprehensive blind services organizations in the country. With a mission to eliminate barriers to a fulfilling life caused by blindness and severe sight loss, the Institute offers a wide array of programs and services, including: child development and youth programs; independent living skills workshops; low vision consultations; national initiatives to promote braille literacy; and educational, social and recreational classes for adults and seniors. The Institute also operates an award-winning library for blind and physically disabled individuals, a braille publishing house, and an information-rich website. Services are available through our headquarters in Los Angeles, regional centers in Anaheim, Rancho Mirage, San Diego, and Santa Barbara, and through more than 200 community outreach locations throughout the 10 counties of Southern California. The annual operating budget of $24 million is funded almost entirely through private donations and allows Braille Institute to assist more than 80,000 individuals each year. All braille Institute programs and services are provided free of charge.
In fulfillment of the goals of a recently completed fundraising assessment and strategic plan, Braille Institute is launching an ambitious effort, and adding staff, to strengthen its Department of Philanthropy and substantially increase fundraising revenue to support its mission and programs.
The Administrative Assistant, Donor Relations & Philanthropy Services provides administrative support to the Senior Director, Donor Relations & Philanthropy Services and management, processes gifts from donors, and generates donor acknowledgment letters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides general administrative support to the Senior Director, Donor Relations & Philanthropy Services and management, including composing original correspondence, typing, filing, ordering general office supplies, ensuring office organization and cleanliness, providing backup to other department staff, answering telephones, and responding to inquiries from donors, volunteers and staff.
2. Enters gifts, codes, comments and pertinent information into donor records for incoming donations, and ensures that information is entered accurately, timely, and consistently.
3. Generates automated donation acknowledgement letters, ensuring the accurate and timely generation, stuffing, mailing and filing of letters.
4. Assists Department of Philanthropy staff with special data entry needs.
5. Maintains internal and external knowledge of the fundraising database and related systems.
6. Personally maintains appropriate, current and accurate donor records, coding, comments, and pertinent information in fundraising database and department files for areas of responsibility.
7. Demonstrates and maintains skill competencies relative to areas of responsibility.
8. Performs other job-related duties as assigned. As the department continues to evolve, duties or tasks may change without impacting the overall job description.
1. Bachelor's degree in a relevant field (computer sciences), or comparable work experience in computers and/or data management.
2. Ability to work in a process driven environment with minimal supervision, and to complete work in a timely, effective and accurate manner.
3. Strong data entry skills, and at least one year of relevant data processing experience.
4. Strong typing skills and advanced working knowledge of and ability to use Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel.
5. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail that translates into the ability to complete work accurately and efficiently.
6. Intermediate interpersonal and English verbal communications skills and the ability to communicate clearly and courteously on the telephone, by email and in person in a customer-friendly, understandable, logical and sympathetic manner.
7. Intermediate English writing, editing, proofreading, spelling, grammar and math skills, and the ability to produce professional and clear correspondence.
8. Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive materials and issues.
9. Ability to work occasional nights and weekends.
Salary & Benefits:
The salary for this position is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Braille Institute offers an excellent work environment and competitive benefits package, including: medical, dental and vision insurance coverage; Tax Sheltered Savings Plan; and vacation and holidays in keeping with Braille Institute policies and procedures. Braille Institute is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
idealist.org - 11 months ago