Under general supervision, performs varied, complex, and often confidential secretarial and office administrative assistance to a department head or major division head; instructs, directs, and reviews the work of an office support staff; performs related work as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
Essential Job Functions : Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. The list that follows is not intended as a comprehensive list; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed, and may be required to perform additional, position-specific tasks.
· Researches inquiries from employees with personnel questions; reviews and processes forms to execute personnel change transactions.
- Performs a wide variety of complex, responsible, and confidential secretarial and administrative duties for a department head or major division head.
- Performs administrative projects for management personnel; researches and compiles background data; maintains records and files regarding department administrative activities.
- Participates and assists in the administration of a department budget; compiles annual budget requests, and recommended expenditure requests for designated accounts.
- Maintains personnel and payroll files; researches files and computer databases; assures all administrative actions are in compliance with County policy, procedures, and guidelines.
- Independently composes correspondence and other documents on a wide variety of subjects requiring a thorough knowledge of the procedures and policies of the department.
- Researches and compiles statistical data; develops and creates a variety of technical and statistical reports; updates and assures the accuracy of databases.
- Resolves problems and creates solutions.
- Recommends organization or procedural changes affecting clerical activities.
- Coordinates personnel administrative actions.
- Maintains department statistical and employee information; collects statistical data and compiles data for reports; updates and assures the accuracy of databases; creates management reports.
- Utilizes the County payroll computer system to input, access, retrieve, and analyze data; updates automated and manual computer records and tracking systems.
- Plans, directs, and evaluates the work of subordinate clerical staff.
- Performs accounting functions related to accounts payable or receivables.
- Monitors budget, contracts and expenditures; collects, compiles, and analyzes data and information.
- Coordinates the annual County budgeting process; monitors the budget cycle and department submittal timelines, organizes documentation, and coordinates the formal submittal process.
- Maintains director’s calendar; receives, opens, reviews and distributes mail; prepares purchase orders and vouchers; establishes and maintains filing procedures; coordinates and monitors assigned projects.
- Types, edits, and prepares correspondence, memoranda, letters, legal documents, information packets, and other communications; responds to routine letters and composes general correspondence as directed.
- Answers phones and determines nature of the calls; logs and routes calls to appropriate individuals; takes and delivers messages.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
· High school diploma or equivalent GED certificate.
· Five (5) years of increasingly responsible administrative, clerical, or secretarial duties; one (1) year of Butte County experience preferred. Associate’s degree or a Certificate of Achievement in Computer Applications, Business Management, Office Assistant, or Legal Office Assistant from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of experience.
· Possession of a recent, [less than one (1) year old] valid certificate as proof of typing skills at 40 net words per minute is required.
· Valid State of California driver's license may be required.
· Employees hired into this classification may be required to file statements of economic interest with the Butte County Clerk/Recorder.
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
· Work is performed in an office environment.
Butte County, CA - 13 months ago