The purpose of this position is to provide clerical support to the Mayor and Allen City Council under the direction of the City Secretary. This is accomplished by providing customer service, providing various administrative services, maintaining records and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. The City Secretary’s Office consists of two full-time employees and one part-time employee. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
The information listed below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
- Provides administrative support for the Mayor and City Council within the City Secretary's Office which includes correspondence, reports, spreadsheets, registration and travel arrangements, itineraries and travel reimbursement forms, maintaining various calendars, reconciliation of p-card charges, and composition of Mayoral Proclamations.
- Answers the main phone in the City Secretary’s Office and serves as receptionist to City Administration visitors. Responds to calls and inquiries and proactively resolves customer service issues.
- Provides information to the general public on board and commission applications, voter registration cards, etc.
- Represents the City Secretary’s Office in a professional manner when dealing with elected and appointed officials, City staff and the public.
- Provides back-up support for Senior Administrative Assistant to the City Secretary.
Work requires knowledge necessary to understand basic operational, technical, or office processes. Level of knowledge equivalent to four years of high school or equivalency.
Over one year up to and including two years of relevant experience. Applicants who are self-starters and can anticipate the needs of the department are highly desired.
This is a permanent part time position that is scheduled to work approximately 20 hours per week, Monday through Friday. This position provides coverage during the lunch hour for the City Administration Office. Desired work hours would be 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. but some flexibility is possible (ex: 9a.m. to 1p.m. or 11a.m. to 3p.m.)
Certification and Other Requirements
Valid Texas Class C Driver’s License
This is a physically demanding position requiring an individual to exert 10-25 lbs. frequently.
Intermediate - Ability to read papers, periodicals, journals, manuals, dictionaries, thesauruses, and encyclopedias. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic - Ability to perform the four basic arithmetic operations. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Intermediate - Ability to write reports, prepare business letters, expositions, and summaries with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives directions: The employee normally performs the duty assignment after receiving general instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results with some discretion when making selections among a few, easily identifiable choices. Assignment is reviewed upon completion.
Supervisory / Organizational Control
No responsibility for the direction or supervision of others.
Work involves choices of action within limits set by standard practices and procedures. Professional judgment is required to apply the proper course of action.
Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills
Discussion Frequent: From 21% to 50% of work time.
City of Allen, TX - 4 months ago