EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. Established in 1958, EDC designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Our services include research, training, educational materials, and strategy, with activities ranging from seed projects to large-scale national and international initiatives.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace.
The Rhode Island Professional Development and Technical Assistance Center has an opening for an Administrative Assistant, reporting to the Professional and Curriculum Development Project Director in EDC’s Rhode Island Office.
The Rhode Island Professional Development and Technical Assistance Center is funded by the Rhode Island Department of Human Services and Rhode Island Department of Education to advance the quality of Rhode Island’s center- and family-based early learning programs and providers. The Center will develop professional development materials, establish and maintain a web-site, conduct on-site and web-based training sessions for program staff and providers serving young children birth to five and their families.
The person in this position is expected to communicate clearly and courteously; to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders; and to work respectfully with EDC colleagues. The job requires adherence to EDC policies and procedures.
Under supervision, and with knowledge of content area and administrative systems, the Administrative Assistant:
• Takes initiative to coordinate support services, including
- document preparation, photocopying, cataloguing, and electronic data handling;
database system maintenance
- internet navigation and information tracking
- document and communication management
- meeting set up, schedules, and communication
- email and telephone communication
- coordination of appointments and travel schedules
- maintenance and tracking of equipment
- calendar upkeep
• Reviews materials for accuracy and quality; proposes format or presentation enhancements
• Performs various assigned duties to balance workload
• Plans, organizes and independently carries out workload priorities to ensure smooth and timely coordination and production
• Applies organizational terms, procedures, systems, and policies
• Prepares materials for training sessions
• Provides technical support for webinars
• Maintains accurate participant attendance records
• Supports all staff in using project systems and protocols, including SharePoint
• Supports large training sessions-- some may be scheduled on Saturdays or evenings
The Administrative Assistant
• Effectively interacts with diverse staff and stakeholders
• Engages in teamwork and supports team meetings; accepts feedback
• Coordinates with others to troubleshoot questions or problems and clarify issues
• Adapts readily
• Seeks help and support as needed
• Demonstrates flexibility
This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups; and strong interpersonal and organizational skills. Specific requirements:
• HS diploma or GED plus 1–2 years advanced training
• AS degree or BA/BS desirable
• With HS diploma, 1–3 years related clerical, secretarial or administrative support experience, including proficiency in 3 or more computer applications, such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook
• With other degrees, 0–2 years related experience (as above)
• Organizational and analytical skills and aptitude for details
• Strong oral and written communication skills
CONTACT: No phone calls, please
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V) and has Affirmative Action Plans for Women and Minorities and for Disabled Workers and Veterans. EDC is a smoke-free workplace.