At the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), creativity and excellence are fundamental to our success. As one of the world's largest philanthropies, HHMI is a major force in advancing biomedical research and science education in the U.S. and beyond. We have an exciting opportunity for an Administrative Assistant to join our headquarters in Chevy Chase, MD
In this role, you will provide direct administrative support to the Scientific Officers and Office Manager in the Science Department. The Science Administrative Assistant should have a comprehensive knowledge of HHMI policies and procedures and must have the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management both inside and outside the Institute.
- Understands, supports and adheres to HHMI’s policies, philosophy and procedures.
- Answers and routes incoming phone calls, meets and greets visitors, and monitors security by escorting visitors to department upon arrival to the institute.
- Provides multilevel administrative support to the Science Department as needed (e.g. printing documents, photocopying, answering phones, etc.).
- Prepares and processes travel and expense reports for the Vice President and Scientific Officers.
- Assists with maintenance of vendor and/or payables in HHMI’s purchasing system.
- Processes payments. Acquires required signature approvals for invoices and sends payment requests to Accounts Payable for processing in a timely manner, or as required by agreed upon payment terms.
- Assists with document preparation as necessary in Word, Excel, Adobe and PowerPoint.
- Prepares outgoing mailings and distributes all incoming departmental mail and packages.
- Assists with making and updating conference room reservations in Resource Scheduler and setting up meetings and teleconferences in MS Outlook. Arranges for room set-up for inter- and intra-departmental meetings as necessary; ordering food and amenities for catered meetings and group lunches.
- Maintains the science filing system. Manages departmental files to ensure conformance to records retention requirements and ensures documents are readily available.
- Works with Office Manager to resolve housekeeping and facilities issues as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or GED equivalent required
- At least five years of high-level clerical or administrative experience using independent judgment to complete tasks
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Able to draft correspondence and basic reports and ensure accuracy of spelling and language
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and the ability to effectively interface with clients and employees.
- Excellent customer service and detail-oriented skills
- Excellent judgment and decision making skills consistently demonstrating tact and diplomacy; maintains confidentiality of information
- Cooperative, self-motivated, flexible, patient, and able to solve problems. Actively seeks opportunities to increase skills and expertise
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment; displays and encourages teamwork
- Must be able to prioritize and make decisions with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
HHMI is an intellectually demanding, results-oriented organization with excellent salaries and benefits. Please send your resume and cover letter including salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the subject line.
Internal candidate application deadline: 11/22/13