POSTING DATE: 04/23/2013 CLOSING DATE: 05/01/2013
POSITION: Administrative Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Registration & Elections
SALARY: $13.53/hr. (SEIU PG 9)
HOURS: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Monday – Friday
1 Hour Unpaid Lunch
35 Hours per Week
BENEFITS: Full County Benefits after 90 days
OVERALL OBJECTIVE OF THE JOB:
To perform clerical duties needed within the Voter Registration and Elections Office.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
1. Answers the telephone, direct caller to the person they need or address the caller’s issue.
2. Handles queries from walk-in people at the counter.
3. Finds information to answer questions according to election laws
a. Cancels voters from old registration, searches obituaries in the paper or DOH batches.
b. Cancels voter’s registration for any other reason, eg. moved out of county, etc. (follow same procedures as cancelling from obituaries but selects appropriate reason for
c. Investigates information from poll books.
d. Order absentee (and provisional0 supplies & maintain proper inventory.
e. Mails and hands out applications.
f. Receives applications and records on computer.
g. Prepares, processes and mails ballots and records on computer.
h. Receives and verifies voted ballots on computer.
i. Prepares absentee roster for each precinct.
j. Sorts voted ballots by precinct in preparation of sending ballots plus a list of applicants & voters to each precinct.
5. Military Absentee Voters
a. Becomes knowledgeable about absentee voter laws.
b. Processes & mails or e-mails military ballots.
6. Emergency Ballots
a. Helps prepare the packets for each precinct.
7. Receives and processes Campaign Finance reports.
a. Notifies filers and collects late filing fees in reports are late.
8. Keeping the Elections Board Minute Book up-to-date (taking & typing meeting minutes).
9. Assists in preparations for each election (whatever needs done at the time).
10. Recruits people for district election boards and keeps updated list of poll workers and floaters (semi-regular phone contact).
11. Records receipts and turns in monies to Treasurer’s Office.
12. Prepares street lists or other reports as requested.
13. Pre-Election Process
a. Helps prepare supply boxes.
b. Prepares pay sheets for each district.
c. Helps set up training sessions for election personnel and candidates.
d. Orders and maintains a supply of manuals from State for candidates for each office.
e. Prepares packets of information for each candidate.
f. Proofreads ballots.
g. Petitions-hands out, reviews, accepts and assists in casting of lots.
OTHER DUTIES OF THE JOB:
1. Election Day
a. Answers questions concerning registration, etc., and documents Q &A.
b. Be prepared to deliver supplies of whatever may be necessary.
2. Election Night
a. Meets Judge’s cars at curbside to carry in supplies (information-packets and pay invoices).
b. Check to insure all supplies were returned and sort them.
c. Calculates pay invoices before sending to Controller’s Office in the morning.
a. Sorts supplies.
b. Tags voters, updating voter history.
d. Makes changes indicated (on computer and cards) on poll books and received on respective papers.
4. Provides information to new voters, candidates and the general public.
5. Utilizes computer, telephone and other office equipment as needed to perform essential job functions.
6. Performs other job-related duties as required and does so in confidence.
7. Attends meetings and trainings as required.
Receives instruction from the Director on regard to daily work duties.
Works indoors in adequate work space, temperatures, ventilation and lighting.
Works with average indoor exposure to noise, stress and disruptions.
Normal indoor exposure to dust/dirt.
Works late 2 evenings prior to the Election to receive last minute applications and ballots.
Starts Election Day work at 7 am. and stays until everyone leaves- approximately 10:30 – 11:00 pm.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Must possess ability to record, convey and present information, explain procedures and
2. Must be able to sit for long periods throughout the workday, with intermittent periods of
standing, walking, bending, twisting and reaching necessary to carry out job duties.
3. Medium work with occasional lifting/carrying of objects.
4. Sedentary work, with occasional from coordination movements of fingers/hands to simple
movements of feet/legs; torso necessary to carry out job duties.
6. Must be in good general health and demonstrate emotional stability.
7. Must be able to pay close attention to detail and concentrate on work.
High school diploma or equivalent, plus computer experience.
B. WORK EXPERIENCE:
Minimum of two (2) years of clerical experience of clerical experience of progressively responsible nature in an office environment, or any equivalent combination of experience and/or training.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Must be able to type 45 words per minute within 2 or less errors.
2. Must be able to speak and understand the English language in an understandable
manner in order to carry out essential functions of the job.
3. Must possess good communication and interpersonal skills.
4. Must possess ability to function independently, have flexibility and the ability to work effectively with co-workers and the general public.
5. Must possess the ability to maintain confidentiality in regard to County information and records.
6. Must possess the technical knowledge of operating personal computers and other office equipment with accuracy and reasonable speed.
7. Must possess knowledge of modern office practices and procedures and the ability to perform same in an efficient manner.
8. Must possess mental alertness, clerical and math aptitude and a general knowledge of business, English and grammar and the ability to perform these skills with accuracy and within reasonable speed.
9. Must possess the ability to work independently on complex clerical tasks.
10. Must possess ability to compose replies to routine correspondence.
11. Must possess basic math skills and ability to accurately prepare required reports and mathematical record keeping.
12. Must possess ability to meet and interact effectively with co-workers and general public and to respond accurately to routine questions/inquiries regarding department operations and procedures.
13. Must possess the ability to exercise judgment on disposition of office problems and the ability to maintain a variety of records and prepare complete and accurate reports.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested internal candidates should send resume to Human Resources Department.
External candidates should complete online application at www.co.greene.pa.us