Administrative Manager, 1A5, Exempt
Civil and Environmental Engineering, Engineering Research Center (ERC)
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is recruiting an outstanding Administrative Manager for its National Science Foundation-supported Engineering Research Center (ERC) for re-inventing urban water infrastructure.
The Administrative Manager collaborates with and supports the ERC’s faculty Director in the overall management of the ERC and facilitates collaboration with the three university partners (UC Berkeley, Colorado School of Mines, and New Mexico State University). The position also coordinates with CEE’s administrative leaders and personnel in the School of Engineering to ensure the ERC meets the highest standards of managerial and administrative competence, effective and efficient performance, and consistent compliance with federal and University policies and procedures.
Financial Management : responsible for budgeting, accounting, and reporting in order to maximize efficient use of funding, while ensuring compliance with NSF rules and regulations. Duties include significant contribution to the ERC’s annual report to the NSF and Center affiliates as well as recurring periodic financial reporting.
Personnel Management: hiring, supervision, development and support of center personnel; completion and documentation of academic, research, and student appointments in compliance with University policies.
Information Systems Management : oversight of management information system and report generation process (multiple reports to sponsoring agency and affiliates) and response to requests with accurate and timely information in format required. Managing website content and usability.
Liaison with University/Sponsoring Agencies : guardianship of university and agency system requirements (federal regulations, proposal processing, etc.) and responsibility for networking with university administration and NSF.
Other duties : event management, facilitating effective Center communications in a multi-campus setting, and interfacing with public inquiries and events. Flexibility to work in a dynamic organization serving industry, university and government needs and accountable to multiple missions (research, private- and public-sector partnerships, education and outreach).
- Collaborates with and supports faculty Director in the overall management of the ERC and contributes to strategic planning.
- Acts as guardian of rules, regulations, and policies; manages change effectively to ensure successful performance as well as compliance.
- Financial and personnel manager; oversees budget allocations to the four universities; coordinates administratively with personnel on all campuses to ensure timeliness and success of ERC initiatives and procedures.
- Manage Center documentation, creating and maintaining thorough and up-to-date information for NSF review including research accomplishments, personnel statistics and other measures of the Center’s productivity and impact.
- Responsibility for tracking budgets and accounts; oversee and facilitate financial transactions; and manage financial and budgetary matters for review by director and other faculty leaders, by Research Administration officers in the School of Engineering and NSF.
- Ensure effective administrative support of outreach programs, including K-12 and undergraduate research program and research experience for teachers program.
- Ensure effective administrative support of industrial affiliates programs, including event and reporting support for development activities, private- and public-sector partnerships, and marketing.
- Initiate and implement improvements in all areas of Center administrative operations to encourage greater efficiency and success of ERC priorities.
- Participating member of the NSF Center Executive Committee and the Education/Outreach, Facilities and Budget Committees.
- Coordinate all facilities-related needs and ensure timely procurement procedures and equipment maintenance to support research and administrative activities.
- Conduct and document search, appointment and reappointment processes for short-term visitors, fellows, teaching and research assistants, and research staff in compliance with University policies and best practices.
- Seek and implement ways to encourage effective performance and high morale throughout Center.
- Advise faculty and staff on Stanford and NSF administrative policies; maintain appropriate training and education to serve as subject matter expert for policy.
- Ensure robust administrative support and effective management of seminars, workshops, conferences, annual reviews, retreats, receptions and other events.
Stanford University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Thank you for your interest!
- Demonstrated administrative management skills, familiarity with the multi-university nature of collaborative work and a demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic environment.
- Entrepreneurial skills to help direct the administrative structure of the ERC with a focus on planning and organization.
- Ability to focus on long-term goals and mission achievement.
- Excellent interpersonal skills working with a diverse population of faculty, students and national and international visitors, and the ability to establish credibility and to model professional and ethical conduct.
- Ability to set a tone of warmth and professionalism as a senior, visible member of an organization, balancing the need for collegiality with the expectation of excellence. Ability to develop outstanding working relations with a wide variety of faculty, staff and Center visitors.
- Ability to manage, adapt and improve long-term, highly complex processes with multiple participants, tight deadlines, and shifting plans.
- Experience with research management and reporting.
- Exceptional writing and oral communication skills.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills.
- Strong computer skills with demonstrated experience using Word and Excel and university administrative applications; ability to learn new applications and skills quickly and effectively.
- Bachelor’s degree and five years experience in university administration.
Stanford University - 23 months ago
The Stanford Technology Ventures Program is dedicated to accelerating high-technology entrepreneurship education and creating scholarly...