o The University of Oregon Institute of Neuroscience invites applications for a full-time Administrative Program Assistant.
o This is a classified position represented by SEIU local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
o University of Oregon positions that are at least half-time are eligible for excellent benefits, including health and dental, employer-paid retirement, and tuition benefits for employee or an eligible dependent, sick and vacation leave.
o Due to budgetary shortfalls, the person appointed to this position may be required to take unpaid furlough days between date of hire and June 30, 2013.
o This recruitment is open to any applicant who meets the qualifications listed below.
TO QUALIFY YOU MUST HAVE:
... three years of office experience which included two years at full performance level and experience generating documents; and
... lead work responsibility or coordination of office procedures.
In addition this position requires:
* Proficiency with PCs and Macs and a variety of software programs (i.e., Microsoft office, including Excel and Access, WordPerfect, Adobe Acrobat, PhotoShop and/or Canvas, EndNote, Internet Browser, scanning software).
* Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills and ability to communicate effectively with a diverse international community of students and scholars.
* Excellent administrative and organizational skills.
* Excellent judgment and problem-solving skills and ability to work independently.
* Familiarity with grant deadlines and submission requirements.
* Familiarity with UO Banner information system strongly preferred.
Please indicate your skills on the attached skill code sheet.
Position is subject to criminal background check.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position coordinates personnel hiring and tracking, and assists with the grant submission process for the Institute of Neuroscience (ION). Duties include:
... coordinating unclassified and classified personnel hiring and tracking, including, processing documents, preparing postings, placing advertizements; coordinating the details of international hiring and assuring compliance with international visa matters; communicating with staff in Human Resources, Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity, and International Affairs about searches and compliance with UO policies and procedures; communicating with applicants about open positions; preparing hiring documents and unclassified contracts; renewing open pool searches.
... processing payroll for faculty, administrator, classified, temporary, graduate teaching fellows, and student employees; assuring compliance with Graduate School policies and procedures; maintaining files and databases.
... coordinating events, including quarterly predoctoral student lab rotation talks for ION and the Institute of Molecular Biology, annual ION retreat, annual Developmental Biology conference; arranging venues, catering, advertizing, and follow-up activities; setting up websites to manage registration, scheduling speakers, arranging lodging; staffing registration desk and providing statistics on attendees.
... preparing and submitting grant applications, including maintaining grant files; ensuring compliance with grant rules and federal and state regulations; preparing and submitting postdoctoral fellows' grants and assisting in interpreting submission rules and regulations; developing and implementing procedures for timely submission; updating databases with relevant grant information.
To assist us in making the selection for the position of Administrative Program Assistant, please respond to the following questions on a separate sheet(s) of paper. Number your responses to correspond to the questions and describe experience and training related to each question. Make sure that any experience or training described in your responses are included on your application.
1. Describe your experience providing administrative support for human resource functions, including coordinating searches, preparing search documents, and preparing hiring documents.
2. Describe your experience word processing documents, creating and maintaining databases, and maintaining electronic files. Specify the computer software with which you are proficient.
3. This position assists in preparing grant applications and related reports. Describe your experience researching and gathering information and statistical data for report preparation. Indicate if you have experience providing administrative support related to federal grants, including interpreting and applying federal grant policies and procedures.
4. This position communicates with UO faculty, administrators, and staff and outside members of the scientific community. Describe experience that demonstrates your ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing with individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
5. In coordinating and organizing special events, this position must track hundreds of details, set priorities, manage multiple tasks and simultaneous demands. Please describe experience that demonstrates your ability to perform in this manner. Indicate if you have event planning and coordinating experience, and your level of responsibility.
SKILL CODE SHEET:
You must also fill out a skill code sheet for this position. You can pick one up at Human Resources or print one out at http://jobs.uoregon.edu/skillcode.html