Serves as the first point of contact and welcomes guests to the Office of University Planning. Ensures excellent customer service by courteously and accurately assisting customers by providing information, answering questions and directing them to appropriate staff. Develops, maintains and manages department project files (digital and paper). Assists Managers with preparing reports and presentations. Provides backup to the Administrative Assistant and performs other departmental administrative functions as assigned.
- Experience providing administrative or program support in a customer oriented professional office setting.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Outlook, Excel, Word, and Power Point.
- Proficiency creating presentations in Power Point.
- Experience maintaining and managing a large department filing system.
- Knowledge of general office machines and telephone system.
- Strong organizational skills with strict attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interact effectively with faculty, staff, students, and University guests with an understanding of protocol and providing a high degree of discretion when dealing with confidential information.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software. – Experience creating graphic flow charts in various software.
- Experience developing a large department filing system.
- Previous experience with processing of invoices, accounts payable and reconciliation of accounts or budgets.
- Previous experience scheduling meetings, organizing events, and maintaining schedules.
Must have a criminal background check, Must have a driver's license check, Other (Describe Below)
Must have a conviction check:
May be requested to work additional hours to meet the needs of the department.
How to Apply for this Job:
For a full description of the position and requirements, and to apply, please go to www.jobs.vt.edu, posting #SW0122697. Attach a resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references to the online application. Review of applications will begin on January 30, 2013 and continue until the position is filled.
If restricted or temporary, enter end date:
Non-exempt: Eligible for overtime
Academic Year or Calendar Year:
If part time, enter Percent Time:
Commensurate with Experience
FS - Office of University Planning
Location, if not Blacksburg:
M - F; 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Review Begin Date:
Job Close Date:
Restricted to university employees only?
Virginia Tech has a strong commitment to the principle of diversity, and in that spirit seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities. Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should notify the hiring department by the application deadline.