Reporting to the Business Manager of Books & Manuscripts, the Administrator will provide centralized support to Christie’s clients and to the assigned Specialist department through coordination with a wide range of departments within the business. Duties are varied, and will follow the cycle of the annual auction schedule for the assigned Specialist department.
(Duties include but are not limited to the following):
- Receive all incoming phone calls for the department, answering basic questions regarding the business in a polite and professional telephone manner.
- Compose and edit correspondence, reports, memoranda and other material.
- Work closely with specialists and department heads, assisting with a wide range of duties.
- Support International Head of department as requested, specifically managing client relationships including diligent correspondence, follow-up, and travel.
- Manage client accounts by following up on consignments and all related documentation and maintaining the overall tally listings for each sale using Microsoft Excel.
- Maintain client files using various internal computer systems and the department filing system.
- Track photo inquiries, liaising with clients, specialists and theClientServiceCenter.
- Provide departmental administrative support including but not limited to faxing, filing, and overall department organization and tidiness, office supplies and incoming mail distribution.
- Assist in the production of the auction catalogue, liaising with the specialists, warehouse and photo studio teams.
- Assist in the production of fine art appraisals, liaising with clients, specialists and Trusts, Estates & Appraisals.
- Coordinate travel plans, liaising with clients, specialists and Christie’s travel agent.
- Schedule appointments and meetings, liaising with clients and specialists.
- Provide condition report details to potential bidding clients in the month before the auction.
- Arrange property pick-up, liaising with clients and the logistics and art transport departments.
- Greet/visit clients on-site to support appraisal, consignment and sale efforts.
- Participate in telephone bidding on the day of the auction.
- Communicate sale results to clients, maintaining all relevant confidential information.
- Other duties as assigned by Manager.
Skills & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, or equivalent work experience.
- Internships or work experience with art of the specialist department, or in an art setting.
- Knowledge of E-mail, Spreadsheet, Word Processing and Presentation software (Microsoft Office preferred).
- Ability to learn Christie’s systems including Siebel, Property System, intranet and website.
- Strong typing skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including superior written and spoken communication.
- Superior client service skills.
- Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Strong follow-up skills with attention to detail.
- Work is performed primarily in an office setting.
- Noise level in the work environment is moderate.
- Frequent movement throughout multi-building office complex including going to on-site and off-site warehouses as necessary; travel within NYC to meet with clients/ attend exhibitions.
- Ability to work with fragile objects.
- Infrequent light physical effort required.
Tools & Equipment Used:
Basic office equipment including personal computer, copy machine, fax machine, scanner, office supplies, camera.
Christie’s is a name and place that speaks of extraordinary art, unparalleled service and expertise, as well as international glamour....