San Juan County is seeking dedicated individuals to uphold the Adult Detention Center's commitment to the care, custody and control of the inmate population. TESTING IS REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION. SEE APPLICATION FORM FOR DETAILS. Per the Adult Detention Center's Security Policy, a criminal background check will be conducted for applicants as part of the application process. Applicants must be able to pass the criminal background check in order to qualify for employment. Applicants who wish to proceed in the application process will be required to download, complete and submit an ADC Background Authorization Form. Detailed information is provided in the "Supplemental Questions" section of the application form.
Essential Job Functions:
The list that follows is not intended as a comprehensive list; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed, and may be required to perform additional, position-specific tasks.
• Observes conduct and behavior of inmates to prevent disturbances and escapes and to maintain health and cleanliness.
• Inspects cells, pods, closets, hallways, access chases, recreational, medical and kitchen areas, locks, window bars, grills, doors, and gates for tampering.
• Searches inmates and cells for contraband articles.
-Transports inmates to judicial proceedings, medical or other authorized appointments.
• Guards and directs inmates during work assignments and ensure appropriate inmate counts.
• Patrols assigned areas for evidence of forbidden activities, infractions of rules, and unsatisfactory attitudes or adjustments of inmates; reports observations to shift sergeant.
• Escorts inmates to and from visiting room, medical office, and religious services or other authorized locations..
• Guards entrance of detention center to screen visitors.
• Prepares written reports concerning incidences of inmate disturbances or injuries.
• Ensures that proper departmental procedures regarding correspondence between the public and inmates is maintained.
• Serves inmate meals in accordance with established procedures; ensures that proper counting is maintained of all utensils, cups and trays and ensure inmate counts are correct.
• Searches inmate property for contraband including but not limited to alcoholic beverages, controlled substances, weapons, and nuisance contraband as prescribed by departmental policy.
• Distributes mail for inmates which includes checking for contraband.
• Requests physical examinations and forwards specific requests for medical assistance to the nurse; escorts inmates to the nurses office and provides security for the nurse.
• Verifies and may write receipts on commissary purchases; ensures that the Commissary Officer distributes purchases to the proper inmates.
• Supervises the visitation of attorneys, family members, bondsmen or others.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
• Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations, and State standards for detention facilities.
• Knowledge of the New Mexico criminal justice and court systems, procedures and protocols.
• Knowledge of County and Department policies and procedures.
• Skill in communicating with inmates and mediating difficult situations.
• Skill in following orders and exercising good judgment in potentially dangerous situations.
• Skill in maintaining confidentiality and using discretion in dealing with sensitive information.
• Skill in responding with tact and composure when dealing with individuals in a stressful situation.
• Skill in assessing and identifying drug influence, behavior and usage.
• Skill in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and first aid.
• Skill in communicating effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with County staff and the public.
• Skill in the use of a personal computer and standard business software.
Education and Experience:
• Must be 21 years of age and possess High School diploma or GED equivalent.
• Must have no felony convictions or convictions for crimes involving moral turpitude.
• Must complete the mandatory Officer certification process within 6 months of employment.
• State of New Mexico Driver's license.
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Working conditions are typical adult detention facility settings; involves the potential for high stress levels and exposure to hostile situations; some non-standard work hours are required.
-Employees may be subject to physical altercations with inmates which may require restraining and/or physically relocating inmates. At times, staff can be called upon to assist with moving unconscious adults in emergency situations for medical treatment. May be required to climb stairs to facilitate appropriate inmate supervision; supervising inmates may require prolonged walking, standing or sitting. May be required to lift 50 pounds or more to accommodate the operational requirements of the facility.
Full-time work hours for this position consist of rotating shift work, nights and weekend shifts and overtime. Rotating shifts is a requirement for the operations of this facility.
Equipment and Tools Utilized:
• Equipment utilized includes but is not limited to: computerized and conventional office equipment, two-way radios and security equipment including cameras, recorders, monitors, visitation, transport navigation devices, key control equipment, clocking in biometricaly, inmate control devices and/or other emergency medical equipment necessary to accomplish Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR and mobile defibrillator) associated with initial first aid response, or other devices necessary to accommodate the operational needs of a correctional environment.
San Juan County, NM - 19 months ago