Establishes and maintains Adult Probation services for adult offenders in accordance with Texas Code of Criminal Procedures. Oversees Pretrial Services, including the Travis County Drug Court(s) in accordance with the objectives, policies, and procedures of the Travis County Criminal District Judges, and all relevant statutory provisions.
This job classification is appointed by the District and County Judges.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans for future services and budgetary needs. Manages personnel, equipment, facilities and finances. Evaluates services and employees. Confers with staff supervisors to coordinate activities of individual sections with department goals and objectives.
- Develops and implements managerial and monitoring systems to ensure compliance with State and County statutory requirements. Maintains awareness of laws, regulations, actions and events which affect level, quality or cost of adult probation and pretrial services.
- Serves as liaison to County offices, public and private agencies, and general public concerning adult probation and pretrial services. Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with and meets regular with agencies and organizations in community regarding policies and resources available for treatment of probationers and pretrial clients.
- Visits department’s satellite offices to ensure provision of adequate services from each office. Ensures departmental personnel receive in-service and training for maximum effectiveness.
- Schedules and conducts regular staff meetings to communicate legal or procedural changes and to interpret department policies and procedures. Meets with individual District Judges and attends Community Justice Assistance Division meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Experience and education equivalent to at least one year of full-time casework, counseling or community work experience and six (6) years of responsible upper-level management experience in probation or parole, or a related field and a Master’s degree in business or public administration or the social or behavioral sciences or a related field.
Must be eligible for certification by the Texas Community Justice Assistance Division as a Probation Officer.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Management principles and practices; of State and County statutes and requirements for operation of adult probation and pretrial programs and of various budgeting techniques; automated systems and procedures and applications to services programs.
- Supervise and motivate management level employees; to develop, analyze and interpret policies and procedures; to exercise sound judgment in making administrative decisions involving staff and service activities and ability to work with multiple public and private agencies and advisory groups; to manage and review budgets involving multiple revenue sources; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with County employees and officials, District Judges, community organizations and agencies involved with criminal justice system. Experience and knowledge in the area of evidence based practices and its application and use in Community Supervision and Corrections Departments, Pre-trial agencies, and Drug Courts.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include lifting/carrying 5-10 lbs. occasionally; visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer keyboard and basic office equipment. Subject to sitting, standing, walking, reaching and handling to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday
Location: 411 W. 11th Street, Austin
Department: Criminal Courts
Criminal Background Check Required
First Application Deadline is June 17, 2013.