Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO) is an independent international energy company engaged in exploration and production, oil sands mining and integrated gas. Based in Houston, Texas, the Company has a strong portfolio of assets delivering defined growth leveraged to crude oil production with exploration upside. At the end of 2011, Marathon Oil had net proved reserves of more than 1.8 billion barrels. The Company’s operations are located in North America, Europe and Africa.
Marathon’s Gulf of Mexico team is currently enjoying its most active year ever, participating in 4 exploration and appraisal wells in 2012, and we expect to drill 2-4 wells annually for the next several years. This high level of activity, including drilling operated wells, has generated the need to add an experienced explorationist to the team. The successful candidate will interpret 3D and 2D seismic data, calibrate seismic data with well data, be knowledgeable about seismic acquisition and imaging workflows, and have experience in the integration of seismic, gravity and magnetic data and velocity model building. Additionally, the candidate should have experience working deep water GoM and be familiar with play fairways, salt tectonics and deep water sequence stratigraphy as applied to prospect generation, maturation and exploration well recommendations. The position will require close interaction and collaboration with the following internal groups: Technology, Operations, Drilling, Appraisal, Production, Land/Commercial and Planning. The candidate will also interact with Communities of Practice, Joint Industry Projects and external professional societies; networking is important. The candidate will be expected to display project leadership and make significant contributions to the accomplishment of team goals
1. Geophysicist within integrated exploration team, interprets seismic data and evaluates petroleum systems to generate opportunities and mature prospects in the deepwater portfolio. Provides geological and geophysical summaries, completes resource and risk analysis including economic and commercial considerations. Makes recommendations to management.
2. Recommends seismic licensing, collaborates on seismic imaging projects, well operations and formation evaluations.
3. Evaluates workflow and recommends improvements.
4. Informal leader of one or more projects that have near-term and long-term goals or milestones.
5. Works with Leadership Team to develop business plans and strategic vision.
6. Communicates clearly and documents project results and recommendations; actively participates in team meetings and knowledge sharing events.
7. Mentors and develops less experienced staff.
Degree Required :
BS required, MS preferred
Major Discipline Required:
Geology or Geophysics
Years Experience Required:
Landmark/Seisworks/PowerView and Rose and Associates Risk Analysis are important, Hampson-Russell/RockDoc and ArcMap are preferred. Intermediate PC skills are required in Microsoft desktop suites.
Experience working deep water GoM and be familiar with play fairways, salt tectonics and deep water sequence stratigraphy as applied to prospect generation, maturation and exploration well recommendations
Travel Required (%):
0 (except for training and professional development activities
Apply for this job:
- Apply for this job online
If you are a current Marathon employee please use the ERP website to submit referrals.
- Email this opportunity to a friend
Marathon Oil - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard -
At Marathon Oil, we realize that you will only be satisfied in your job if it’s taking you further in your career.