REPORTS TO Advanced R&D Engineering Manager
In this position you will be a key member of our Advanced R&D team working with engineers, designers, product managers, riders, and our test lab. Good verbal and written communication skills are very important for working in our fast paced environment. You’ll be responsible for bringing raw concepts to life and testing them to validate if new concept is sound. You’ll need to be able to successfully involve the appropriate production product team at the appropriate time so as to manage an effective handoff when a project is ready. A successful candidate will relish new challenging designs and concepts that have never yet been made. The ability to learn from failures while remaining positive will be required for this position. Creative ideas will come not only from you but from all of our product and component groups. Collaboration with others and shared ideas will be essential for your success. We are looking for a person with creativity, great mechanical problem solving skills, solid fabrication skills, and a clear passion for their craft. Initially this position will be highly execution based, however, with time, experience & project successes concept creation opportunities will follow.
HOW YOU WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- Collaborate with engineers, designers, and product managers.
- Participate in brainstorming session for new concepts and ideas for our products and or manufacturing process.
- Attend trade shows as needed for inspiration and to stay current with trends.
Product Testing & Approval
- Fabricate prototypes, or multiples if necessary that can be ridden or tested so that they can be validated.
- Create engineering packets that record and document the evolution of a new product or process so that it may be handed off to others once a prototype is ready to be handed off to one of our production teams.
- Create simple timelines for your projects and manage development of projects in order to meet these timelines.
- Create 2D drawings & 3D models in Pro/E of our concepts as needed so they can be accurately reproduced by others at a later time.
- Run analysis as needed of new designs.
- Keep the R&D lab fully stocked by ordering tools, products, and materials necessary to create working testable prototypes.
- Get clarification if patent searches are needed before proceeding with any new ideas. Conduct your own initial searches on the internet if needed.
Project handoff to Engineering Team
- Get prototypes made and into testing phases (lab testing and field testing).
- Create test plans for all projects and be responsible for making sure all projects are thoroughly and completely tested in our labs or out in the field.
- Iterate project or concept thru design changes until all testing has passed in our labs or in the field. We don’t expect prototypes to pass the 1st time, but it’s your responsibility that it is 100% tested before a project is handed over.
- Complete all test documentation for your projects.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO WIN
- Create a complete record of how a new product or process was created so others can effectively bring this concept to market.
- Organize and conduct meetings as needed with the appropriate teams to communicate details of each concept so that a clean handoff can be made.
- Be available to help with problems and answer questions as needed to make a clean transfer of technology.
- Ideal candidate has bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering with 4-5 years of experience. Outstanding recent University graduates will also be considered.
- Experience with CAD software, Pro-E is our standard at Specialized. Ability to use surfacing features in Pro-E is highly desirable.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment & and have the ability to adjust to changing priorities.
- Machine shop skills are required and using shop equipment such as a lathe, mill, saws and sander will be will be part of your daily routine.
- Must have good welding skills and be capable of welding steel, aluminum, & titanium. Must be familiar with the use of gas welding or brazing, MIG, TIG, plasma cutter, etc.
- Frame building skills are a huge plus.
- Basic knowledge of working with composites.
- Other shop skills such as working with wood working equipment and painting are also highly desirable.
- Avid bicycle rider and capable bike mechanic is desirable.
Specialized Bicycle Components - 17 months ago
copy to clipboard
Specialized Bicycle Components didn't set out to make a museum piece, but the company's original Stumpjumper (the first...