The New York Times is looking for creative and talented software engineers to join our fast-paced, versatile team that builds out the core platforms that power the most viewed newspaper site in the world. This is a rare opportunity to play an integral part in transforming the publishing industry.
As an Advertising Integration Engineer, you will execute projects to support ad serving solutions across NYTimes.com digital properties (including web, video, mobile, and tablet). These projects will include new implementations, product upgrades, and some pre-sales technical assessments for our growing digital business.
As part of our platform team, you will enjoy a vibrant culture that promotes innovation nestled within an established and respected institution. Inside our new midtown building, you will find floor-to-ceiling windows, plenty of whiteboards, a sushi chef, and a staff with a sense of humor and a passion for beautiful software.
Frequent technical presentations for knowledge sharing within and across teams
An internal technical challenge competition that rewards the authors of practical solutions, by giving them the time, resources and support needed to create production-ready applications
The Times Developer Network, a clearinghouse for the open APIs we build on top of our high-quality content data sources: http://developer.nytimes.com/
The Open Blog, where we describe API capabilities and improvements and cover a wide range of other interesting topics: http://open.blogs.nytimes.com/
The TimesOpen event series, which engages, draws from and contributes to the larger developer community: http://nytimes.com/marketing/timesopen/
We stand behind the people who have the courage to take on the hard problems, and we have the resources to do so. Come and write the applications and APIs that deliver optimized, dynamic and static content components for consumption by an array of downstream consumers who often then take that content to a worldwide audience.
- Work across NYTimes.com Software Development teams to help create, define, and implement ad serving standards.
- Assist in the development, design, requirements analysis, and maintenance of an overall “toolkit” or software developer resource on ad serving standards and Ad Systems dependencies.
- Maintain a library of NYTimes.com digital products and the nature of technical ad rules integrated into each.
- Coordinate between Advertising and Software Development to ensure all outgoing digital products adhere to advertising standards, and pass quality assurance and user acceptance testing.
- Works with Product and Development teams to define requirements for ad serving, as well as the suite of digital Ad Systems especially for emerging platforms.
- Initiates projects to clean up, update, and standardize advertising integrations across development teams, managing open development requests to include small enhancements in overall product updates.
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Understanding of distributed, scalable web application architecture
- Understanding of fundamental algorithms and data structures
- Proficient in software design, coupled with a deep understanding of object-oriented software design, functional programming and design patterns
- Interest in learning new programming languages/concepts
- Experience with full product lifecycles, rapid prototyping, and iterative product development
- Experience with programming languages, including but not limited to Java, Python, Ruby, PHP, Objective-C is a plus
- Experience in web paradigms with deep experience building and supporting database-driven applications
- Unix / Linux experience a plus
- Knowledge of Android/iOS a plus
- Experience with ad serving a plus
- Understanding of low-level systems and networking a plus
- Experience with cloud computing and/or virtualized environments (e.g., EC2, VMWare)
- Experience with Test Driven Development and testing tools like JUnit, NUnit, Cucumber etc.
- Experience with version control and build tools such as SVN, GIT, ant and maven a plus
The New York Times Company, a leading global, multimedia news and information company with 2011 revenues of $2.3 billion, includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYTimes.com, BostonGlobe.com, Boston.com, About.com and related properties. The Company’s core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news, information and entertainment.
The New York Times Company is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. The New York Times Company is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
The New York Times Company - 24 months ago